Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 850 XMR Outlander what belt should I run fellas???? Want most bang for my buck willing to pay just don't want a cheap belt

·
Registered
2021 Canam Outlander 1000 Max XTP
465 Posts

·
Banned
837 Posts
2020 850 XMR Outlander what belt should I run fellas???? Want most bang for my buck willing to pay just don't want a cheap belt
You're in Canada and you should really consider which states, provinces and countries you take advice from. I'm in Canada as well (northern Alberta) and I can tell you first hand the OEM belt won't hold up in deep snow conditions. I can also say the Gates Carbon belts don't hold up in deep snow either (even worse than the OEM belt). So far, the best belts I have used are the Maverick belts and they are also the most expensive. I've been using them since they came out and I think the part number has since been revised like 3 or 4 times now. You might pay 2x the price but you'll easily 4-5x the mileage out of them. There's nothing worse then having to change a belt in sub-zero temps, in deep snow, on a frozen lake. You can't just have a buddy tow you all the way home if he is driving a belt-drive machine and breaking trail with you in-tow... otherwise, there'll be 2 of you broke down with blown belts. My favourite motto "buy once, cry once!".

·
Registered
172 Posts
You're in Canada and you should really consider which states, provinces and countries you take advice from. I'm in Canada as well (northern Alberta) and I can tell you first hand the OEM belt won't hold up in deep snow conditions. I can also say the Gates Carbon belts don't hold up in deep snow either (even worse than the OEM belt). So far, the best belts I have used are the Maverick belts and they are also the most expensive. I've been using them since they came out and I think the part number has since been revised like 3 or 4 times now. You might pay 2x the price but you'll easily 4-5x the mileage out of them. There's nothing worse then having to change a belt in sub-zero temps, in deep snow, on a frozen lake. You can't just have a buddy tow you all the way home if he is driving a belt-drive machine and breaking trail with you in-tow... otherwise, there'll be 2 of you broke down with blown belts. My favourite motto "buy once, cry once!".
So what is the 4-5x mileage as in an actual value? Seems to me your going through a lot of belts, and by the 4-5x mileage statement you made one would think you have 40,000km on your bike…

I’ve seen posts with guys hitting 5k-6k with their belts… so why are you changing them so much even OEM/Maverick style.. consider a clutching issue perhaps?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
What does where u live have to do with a quality belt... I live in northern Canada ride in deep snow and I'm still on my oem belt... for the most part people are going to recommend about 3 belts across the world..

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Banned
837 Posts
So what is the 4-5x mileage as in an actual value? Seems to me your going through a lot of belts, and by the 4-5x mileage statement you made one would think you have 40,000km on your bike…

I’ve seen posts with guys hitting 5k-6k with their belts… so why are you changing them so much even OEM/Maverick style.. consider a clutching issue perhaps?

Suiting name.....

My oem belts prior to changing tire size was 2,000 - 3,000kms on my 2007 Outty.... this was primarily non-winter riding with factory tires. I now change out my clutches with larger tires and install a programmer prior to having my machines dyno tuned. As mentioned previously..... I have only had good luck with the Maverick belts.... you are twisting words around. I said I would NOT RECOMMEND THE GATES CARBON BELT. I also know guys with 5,000 kms on their original belts. They don't mud, push snow or take their machines out of high range. Strictly trail riding. Riding style and area makes a huge difference in longevity.

·
Banned
837 Posts
What does where u live have to do with a quality belt... I live in northern Canada ride in deep snow and I'm still on my oem belt... for the most part people are going to recommend about 3 belts across the world..

Simple..... some guys ride strictly trail as they don't get deep snow in the winter months. Some guys run strictly desert or strictly mountains..... that matters bigtime. Add in upgrades like larger tires or aftermarket clutches, big bores etc.... it will all change what each guy gets for life expectancy out of an OEM belt. You can't compare you pushing 2-3 feet of snow in Canada to a fella down south that doesn't see the kind of snow up here that we get. Your riding will put more load on that belt.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Suiting name.....

My oem belts prior to changing tire size was 2,000 - 3,000kms on my 2007 Outty.... this was primarily non-winter riding with factory tires. I now change out my clutches with larger tires and install a programmer prior to having my machines dyno tuned. As mentioned previously..... I have only had good luck with the Maverick belts.... you are twisting words around. I said I would NOT RECOMMEND THE GATES CARBON BELT. I also know guys with 5,000 kms on their original belts. They don't mud, push snow or take their machines out of high range. Strictly trail riding. Riding style and area makes a huge difference in longevity.
Where am I twisting your words lol? My did not contain words Gates or Carbon or what belt you should run. I simply asked for you to clarify what 4-5x means in an actual mileage number which you didn’t even answer.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Wow... takes longer to type out these long winded and slightly rude responces instead of just answering the question.

Like they say good is not cheap and cheap is not good... both the redline and carbon belts are good. I know guys that have been running the carbon for years with no issue. The other popular is the mav belt.. I have always ran oem belts with no issues and I ride in everything.. those are your 4 choices and you will get good belt life out of any of them especially if u know when to use low range

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow... takes longer to type out these long winded and slightly rude responces instead of just answering the question.

Like they say good is not cheap and cheap is not good... both the redline and carbon belts are good. I know guys that have been running the carbon for years with no issue. The other popular is the mav belt.. I have always ran oem belts with no issues and I ride in everything.. those are your 4 choices and you will get good belt life out of any of them especially if u know when to use low range

You got it man. Proper belt and application how to use it will last. Maintenance is key too of course

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
yeppers... i pull my case off yearly and blow and clean everything out. Usually do my bearings at the same time..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts