Can-Am ATV Forum banner

What did you do on your Can-Am today?

44092 Views 308 Replies 46 Participants Last post by  Angore
Seen threads like these on other forums I frequent for different platforms, couldn’t find one in here for the Outlander.. so here it goes.

This thread could be a success or an utter failure. So I’ll start, ideally post photos along with what you actually did.

Installed one of the aluminum shifter brackets.

White Light Automotive tire Bicycle part Game controller
See less
Seen threads like these on other forums I frequent for different platforms, couldn’t find one in here for the Outlander.. so here it goes.

This thread could be a success or an utter failure. So I’ll start, ideally post photos along with what you actually did.

Installed one of the aluminum shifter brackets.
See more
241 - 260 of 309 Posts

· Admin
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
2,305 Posts
I was looking at it before putting the RH plasic side panel on.......Can a person get the valve cover out the RH side of the machine if the shift linkage is removed from the trans?
Yeah, I changed out my front cylinder valve cover with an aluminum cover. That was easy. Have not done the rear one on the left side yet because there is much work and colorful language involved... lol

· Registered
2018 Outlander 570 w/ 28" Mega Mayhems & BigGun Evo U pipe (Mr Rpm tuned).
32 Posts
The rear cylinder? Don’t think so. It can come out on the left hand side - exhaust doesn’t need to be removed, the small heat shield removed and that little duct that joins to the cvt.
Okay, that wouldn't be as bad as pulling the exhaust (again). Think I'll go ahead and do it tomorrow and be done with it.

· Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
2,116 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
The rear cylinder? Don’t think so. It can come out on the left hand side - exhaust doesn’t need to be removed, the small heat shield removed and that little duct that joins to the cvt.
Okay, I just finished replacing my rear plastic valve cover with an aluminum one. It took me a little longer than I had planned as I encountered a few challenges along the way including me dropping the front battery bracket bolt down into the abyss. Doesn't it figure?! Luckily, after I removed the plastic CVT duct I was able to retrieve it!!

Thanks for the heads-up on how to do it w/o removing the exhaust!!! (y)

Here's the cover in place (and my professional exhaust wrap). :LOL:
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

· Registered
32 Posts
As I was into my rear valve cover change above, I had the front RH inner fender panel off and notice a leak at the coolant tank connection.
Motor vehicle Purple Textile Bag Automotive lighting

Well, this bothered me. So, this morning I replaced it.
I had to remove the front rack, lift the front plastic up, remove the dash support, move the air intake hose out of the way and disconnect the coolant tank from its mounting location (to access the clamp).
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Upper hardware loose
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car

Here's a view with the clamp and coolant tank back in place and prior to the other components back in place.
Motor vehicle Purple Gas Auto part Personal protective equipment

· Registered
247 Posts
As I was into my rear valve cover change above, I had the front RH inner fender panel off and notice a leak at the coolant tank connection. View attachment 109595

Well, this bothered me. So, this morning I replaced it.
I had to remove the front rack, lift the front plastic up, remove the dash support, move the air intake hose out of the way and disconnect the coolant tank from its mounting location (to access the clamp).
View attachment 109596

Upper hardware loose
View attachment 109597

Here's a view with the clamp and coolant tank back in place and prior to the other components back in place.
View attachment 109600
Just install regular hose clamps. Common issue.

· Registered
1,185 Posts
I switched from the Warn plow front mount to the belly mount because it cracked the aluminum sub-frame. Then I adjusted the pulley setup to allow for fine control of plow height. Also drilled a 1/16 hole in the lower fairlead roller so that grease can be pumped in.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

· Registered
2018 can-am outlander XT 650 (abs) with mod's
395 Posts
Replace left rear tyre ball bearing with oem 59€ (first bearing to change 16000km+ 670hours)
  • I would also change my rear brake pads but we did not have in stock..
  • Also i did get install spacer's 1inch wide all four wheels.
  • Also cross change my tyres = they have wear like in angle...

· Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
Also i did get install spacer's 1inch wide all four wheels.
Let me know please if you now feel the steering to be harder even with DPS working.

· Registered
395 Posts
Let me know please if you now feel the steering to be harder even with DPS working.
I had spacer's in use before i get these alloys.. Stock alloy's had enough room to use oem nut's at spacer. So they look like they were 8 bolt alloys. These alloy's had not enough room that configuration.. I had to buy steel alloy nut's (oem 4,41€/each).

What come's to steering with spacer:
No different at all.
These alloy's has different offset then stock. They will rub in front lower a-arms at full turn. So that's why i put spacer's back and get tires little wide then stock. Lift kit also narrowed front transverse width.

· Registered
247 Posts
I had spacer's in use before i get these alloys.. Stock alloy's had enough room to use oem nut's at spacer. So they look like they were 8 bolt alloys. These alloy's had not enough room that configuration.. I had to buy steel alloy nut's (oem 4,41€/each).

What come's to steering with spacer:
No different at all.
These alloy's has different offset then stock. They will rub in front lower a-arms at full turn. So that's why i put spacer's back and get tires little wide then stock. Lift kit also narrowed front transverse width.
got a photo?

· Registered
2017 Can-Am Outlander 570 Pro
514 Posts
Did change the battery on my fathers renegade and the cvt inlet boot because it disintegrated . (2007 manufacturing year) also did order some aluminium thermostat housings because the bleeding screws are leaky
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Both beasts together( funny is mine has almost 3x the amount of km’s as the renegade, and being 10 years younger)

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Anyone if you can buy just the heated visor outlet to have it wired to your machine? Is there a specific name for these outlets? I can’t seem to locate online. Don’t want the full wiring kit from can am, $80…

· Registered
395 Posts
Anyone if you can buy just the heated visor outlet to have it wired to your machine? Is there a specific name for these outlets? I can’t seem to locate online. Don’t want the full wiring kit from can am, $80…
This is the spare part number for it: 710002571 You have to ask from dealer this spare part..
Whole kit is: 715001246
Installation instructions (brp.com)

· Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
I went for a snow ride yesterday and half way through, the (CVT) started screeching and the ATV started creeping without any throttle input. I've been on this forum for long enough to know that this was most likely a dry one-way bearing even though it's been 65 hours and 1,300 kms since I last greased it with isoflex.

Anyway, fast forward to today and I took the primary off and cleaned it and greased the one-way bearing and it's back to normal. However, I noticed some slider shoes' wear so I'll order them and change them next time I'm there.

I wanted to ask whether the primary's governor cup is supposed easily slide inside the outer half or it's normal for it to slide with a decent amount of friction? Is a friction slide an indication of worn slider shoes since they don't all wear evenly and this causes an imbalance in the governor cup?

I also added the grease zerk to the lower steering bushing but I didn't ride it enough to test the effectiveness of this mod. Will report on that later.

Reactions: SuperATV

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,242 Posts
I wanted to ask whether the primary's governor cup is supposed easily slide inside the outer half or it's normal for it to slide with a decent amount of friction? Is a friction slide an indication of worn slider shoes since they don't all wear evenly and this causes an imbalance in the governor cup?
If anything, a new set of slider shoes would give the highest level of friction sliding between the two. As the shoes wear, the spider should slide on the cup with little to no feedback. Don't want your lever arms fighting friction, that'll give some weird clutch behavior

241 - 260 of 309 Posts