Can-Am ATV Forum banner
261 - 280 of 309 Posts

· Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
2,116 Posts
If anything, a new set of slider shoes would give the highest level of friction sliding between the two. As the shoes wear, the spider should slide on the cup with little to no feedback. Don't want your lever arms fighting friction, that'll give some weird clutch behavior
I see. Thanks for the feedback. So the slider shoes should be changed when they allow too much wiggle in the spider right? The service manual calls for changing them when the chamfer is worn. Mine still have a bit left.

To have the spider slide the easiest way possible, I added the lightest coat of isoflex to the shoes and to the walls they rub against. Changing gear has become very smooth but I'm afraid this won't last long as the grease will dry up with use.

Reactions: BombardierBomb

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,242 Posts
So the slider shoes should be changed when they allow too much wiggle in the spider right?
Right, yeah. I remember on my old 400, they were so worn there was audible clacking between the two. New set of slider shoes quieted it right down

Reactions: xsever

· Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
Don't worry about a little grease it is gonna fling off pretty quick and if it doesn't its gonna collect dust. I'm pretty sure whatever those sliders are made of the grease won't help much anyways.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BombardierBomb

· Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
Which are the slider shoes? The rollers? Post a thread when you do this work, @xsever

Don't worry about a little grease it is gonna fling off pretty quick and if it doesn't its gonna collect dust. I'm pretty sure whatever those sliders are made of the grease won't help much anyways.
So you recommend I replace the slider shoes and that's it? I replaced the rollers last year.

I wanted to know from you whether a brand new clutch behaves in a way where the spider slides very easily or with friction? What is normal and in spec operation like?

Sent from my SM-M127F using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
A new a spider or spider with new buttons will be stiffer in the moveable sheave because with new buttons it is a tight fit between the towers but with a few 100 miles they will wear in and slide easily.

More wear on the buttons really doesn't hurt anything except the clutch gets noisy and if you go to far it could wear into the spider.

· Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
A new a spider or spider with new buttons will be stiffer in the moveable sheave because with new buttons it is a tight fit between the towers but with a few 100 miles they will wear in and slide easily.
Ok that makes perfect sense. So while they're still not broken in and a tight fit, will this cause the primary's engagement to be not so smooth and the shifting to be more difficult?

More wear on the buttons really doesn't hurt anything except the clutch gets noisy and if you go too far it could wear into the spider.
Ok so this leads me to conclude that the problem I was facing was purely based by the one-way bearing needing cleaning and greasing even though it was only 65 hours since last done. I believe I'm going to move ahead and order the CVT filter and bracket to keep the CVT cleaner as I ride from spring to fall in dusty conditions.

Reactions: EbenezerScrooge

· Registered
2021 Outlander 1000r XMR Neo Yellow/Black
1,287 Posts
I replaced my Storage Box because I rip my door off. Door was fine, both top and bottom hinges broke. $90.00 for new box and I re/re the box. Not too bad of a job, just took my time and it went well. Happy New Year!

· Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
Ok that makes perfect sense. So while they're still not broken in and a tight fit, will this cause the primary's engagement to be not so smooth and the shifting to be more difficult?

Ok so this leads me to conclude that the problem I was facing was purely based by the one-way bearing needing cleaning and greasing even though it was only 65 hours since last done. I believe I'm going to move ahead and order the CVT filter and bracket to keep the CVT cleaner as I ride from spring to fall in dusty conditions.
The engagement can be a little more grabby but usually it is barely noticeable and subsides in very little mileage.

I put those skf bearings in from uatv tech and they seem to be holding up good. Also comes with grease.

I am surprised your last cleaning only lasted 65 hours but it happens. I like the double sealed bearings better anyways.

· Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
I am surprised your last cleaning only lasted 65 hours but it happens. I like the double sealed bearings better anyways.
Me too. Once I cleaned everything and before greasing, the bearings were very easy to spin and their double seals were still in near perfect shape. These are VXB bearings that I bought from Amazon. Next time I need to replace them, I will definitely go with the uatv tech ones.
Thanks!

Reactions: CanAmRancher1

· Registered
247 Posts

More wear on the buttons really doesn't hurt anything except the clutch gets noisy and if you go to far it could wear into the spider.

What effect do the rollers have?

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 · (Edited)
I keep losing air in couple of my tires, I’ve checked it seems to be around the rim. Is there a home remedy for this? Can I deflate them, clean around the rim and tire I assume debris may be stuck there and then over inflate to like 20-30psi to get them to seat?

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Careful about 20-30. My tires say 15 psi max to seat.

· Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
Is there a home remedy for this? Can I deflate them, clean around the rim and tire I assume debris may be stuck there and then over inflate to like 20-30psi to get them to seat?
You could give that a shot at home and if it works, then great. If not, then you'd have to spend money at a tire shop to either straighten the rim or replace it or whatever is needed.

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,242 Posts
I keep losing air in couple of my tires, I’ve checked it seems to be around the rim. Is there a home remedy for this? Can I deflate them, clean around the rim and tire I assume debris may be stuck there and then over inflate to like 20-30psi to get them to seat?
Look up a product called "Bead Sealer", it's a thick black tar goop that you can smear on the bead of your tire, it helps seal minor imperfections in the rim or tire bead.

· Registered
2018 can-am outlander XT 650 (abs) with mod's
395 Posts

· Registered
2018 can-am outlander XT 650 (abs) with mod's
395 Posts

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Look up a product called "Bead Sealer", it's a thick black tar goop that you can smear on the bead of your tire, it helps seal minor imperfections in the rim or tire bead.
got some bead sealer, pulled the valve let all air out. Breaking the bead is impossible.. I was able to squish the tire a bit to blow air around the bead and then add some sealer. Seems to be holding air. Wish I could get the gap a bit more it would be easier. Any tricks to do this?

when I checked the tire before I saw bubbles forming instantly around the rim and I could even hear it hissing a bit. After the bead sealer, seems to have resolved itself but I got another 2 tires to do.. and wish I knew of a trick to separate the tire from rim a bit more for easier cleaning and application.

And there's always the dreaded....Slime.
what’s so dreaded about it?

261 - 280 of 309 Posts