Can-Am ATV Forum banner

What did you do on your Can-Am today?

98K views 581 replies 67 participants last post by  p_hauschild 
#1 · (Edited)
Seen threads like these on other forums I frequent for different platforms, couldn’t find one in here for the Outlander.. so here it goes.

This thread could be a success or an utter failure. So I’ll start, ideally post photos along with what you actually did.

Installed one of the aluminum shifter brackets.

White Light Automotive tire Bicycle part Game controller

See less See more
#2 ·
Well it wasnt today but the other day I replaced front motor mounts on my defender, checked the valves, and installed aluminum valve covers.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
i did literally nothing , got back pain in the morning and could not move for the rest of the day (y) :ROFLMAO: , but last weekend i did repack my Yoshimura exhaust and polish it

• Haha
Reactions: Dirty Red Neck
#5 ·
Not gonna lie this defender has 20000 miles. It has always started and never ticked so this is the first time I adjusted them and I only adjusted one valve about .02mm. I have reset tensioners on it but had never done valves before.

#10 ·
Not gonna lie this defender has 20000 miles. It has always started and never ticked so this is the first time I adjusted them and I only adjusted one valve about .02mm. I have reset tensioners on it but had never done valves before.

is this tensioner something to be done on the outlander?

#8 ·
Seen threads like these on other forums I frequent for different platforms, couldn’t find one in here for the Outlander.. so here it goes.

This thread could be a success or an utter failure. So I’ll start, ideally post photos along with what you actually did.

Installed one of the aluminum shifter brackets. Can you tell us where you bought yours.

View attachment 106267

#9 ·
Put on BRP Hand and Thumb warmer and Track Module. Only 29 hours on ATV and starter is toast. Gone to dealer for that fix, lol. The hole left side of ATV gets removed. All plastic including side front wheel inners, left side plastic and left running board. The clutch cover has to be removed and both primary and secondary clutches removed so you can remove the inner clutch cover. All this so you can get to starter. Dealer was dumb founded that the starter was shot at this time, not a common thing for them to see.

#11 ·
Yes. Here is a good video. I can't remember if he prelaods the spring, but I don't recommend for the long term to preload the spring.

#19 ·
Thanks. I picked it up 1 month ago. Only 350 kms on it. I added the fairing, rear box, foot rests, fender extensions and 28 inch Maxxis Tires, and heated grips. The person before me installed led lights. I also added 1.5 inch spacers in the front and 2 inch in the back.

#21 ·
I know I looked for a thread like this in the Maverick sub-section, didn't see one. Love the idea, tho.

But could this be re-titled "what did you do on your Can-Am today?" not just single it down to Outtys?

Could move it to the BRP section, and include the rennys and SxS, etc.

#23 ·
Nothing too note-worthy, but did take the Mav out for a little putt through the woods with my S.O. holding my youngest on her lap. Her teenager followed along with her best friend on her Grizzly. The grins and squeals remind us why we do it ;)

#27 ·
Installed this rubber seal in the BRP box and rear trunk. Happy to report it held all winter and doesn’t leak water in!

The water you see is from me starting to clean the box and I figured I take a photo before I deep.
I need to add a better rubber seal to my box as well. Do you have a link to the seal or some specs?

Reactions: Freewill
#31 ·
Well, nothing on the Can-Am, but I did manage to spend a few hours Saturday working on the basket case 350D with my bonus son :

It does run and even move under it's own power! Didn't think to grab any pics, tho 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: TheSponge
#35 · (Edited)
3/19/2022 - 190.5 miles @ 30.6 hrs

First rear diff oil change
I went with Schaeffer 75w-140 XP measured in a 500ml syringe to exactly 250ml.

5mm allen to remove the drain
Jack up the front of the bike to help the fluid run out of the skid plate. The fluid was very metallic with no sign of water. I thought about ways to flush the diff with diesel or Marvens mystery oil but decided against it because I didn't have enough new diff fluid to be able to flush all the flushing fluid out. I'll just change the fluid again in 20 hours.

PITA-

After draining I attempted to insert the 6mm allen socket into the fill plug and the diff bracket wouldn't allow it to fully seat. Yes it was the only 6mm I had. I had to run to the store and pick up a allen key set and ordered a extra long set of metric allen keys from the net.

Replacing the drain plug can be a little tricky. MAKE SURE IT'S GOING IN STRAIGHT and start it by hand. Once it's started, I applied a little thread sealer to the last couple of threads. I was surprised at the amount of metal in this fluid and wish I would have taken a picture.

The allen pictured does not work properly. FYI

I wanted to add - 250ml filled the diff and it was running out slightly. I may have been on a little hill. I didn't bother with the bent wire trick because 250ml went in. I was surprised to see it run out. And yes, the amount of time I spent looking for the right allen key and driving to the store about 1.5 hrs........I'm completely sure all the fluid had drained. After opening the fill plug I raised the front of the bike again to be sure all the fluid came out.

I'll do the front today.

Attachments

#36 ·
The front was much easier ...AFTER......

I pulled the plow plate off because I didn't drill the holes in the skid plate ;) . Oh yea, I remember the struggles of that installation. At least now I can trace the opening in the plow plate so the holes will line up fairly close.

Pictures to follow-

#37 · (Edited)
Replaced a knock sensor & plug on rear cylinder.

Every electrical plug I could get at was taken apart & dielectric greased.

Took apart LF headlight assembly to straighten support bracket. It got bent when I decided to unload the quad from the Duramax using only one ramp ! 🤦‍♂️
(Can-Am should make these brackets a little stronger, it should have taken the weight of the quad smashing down on it btw)😂

And when it went over of course it took out the handlebars.

Attachments