Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
2020 Can Am Defender Limited
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 21 limited and I have 30inch ITP mud lite II's coming (30 x 11 x 14 and 30 x 9 x 14) to put on my stock wheels. I have NOT done the forward A-arm conversion but from what I have read the 30's should fit with no modification. I just got back from a trip on the Hatfield McCoy trails and although the machine did well it felt tippy and rode rough. I am hoping the 30inch tires correct some of the harsh ride but I was also hoping to add 1.5inch wheel spacers as well to help keep her stable. Does anyone know if 1.5inch wheel spacers will fit stock wheels with 30inch tires?

Also, I was looking as changing the springs to the S3's but reading their website, it looks like they are a stiffer spring. I was hoping to get a smother ride over rocky terrain. Will the S3's improve the machine in that area?

Below are some pics of the trip.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Registered
That trail you are on in the pictures is one of the roughest trails down there especially when alot of rain has gone threw, these machines are not as forgiving in the suspension and all as the sport machines which is why you get the tippy feeling pulling into drop offs and all, my ranger I had was the same way, the rough ride is something I'm working on too, beat me to death up there, I aired tires to 10lbs which helped alot, I have been checking out the s3's too, they say it helps but making it firmer I don't know how..
Also the mudlite 2s use to be only 6 ply, so keep that in mind up there, I like a 8 to 10 ply which also leads to a rougher ride馃ぃ
Good looking machine馃憤

Registered
The s3 springs give the machine more spring travel. Looks up on YouTube where people have done the mod.it should make the ride better. You鈥檙e not going to get the sport like suspension unless you get an aftermarket shock like Elka.

Registered
2020 Can Am Defender Limited
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's. You are not joking about that trail. It was the outlaw trails not part of Hatfield McCoy and it was wild. I pushed a tire off the rim, one buddy got stuck in a DEEP mud hole, another had his battery cable come off from bouncing on the rough terrain. Really tested our machines. There was so much water and mud I think in 2 hours we went one mile. The Defender made it through but she was at her limits. There was a lot of creek riding and my skid plate was roughed up pretty good. 30 inch tires would have made that trail much easier.

I did get the tires mounted and they look amazing. She feels like a monster now. I cant wait to test them out on some trails. The on road riding is a little bit squirmier but that is to be expected. I know the ITP's are 6 ply and that was a consideration, but they have good reviews and they were on sale with free shipping. Time will tell how they hold up.

I also think I am asking a lot of the defender since I really bought her mostly for work around the farm and woods. Pulling trailers, hauling firewood and dirt, scouting fields, and she does all those things to perfection. To ask her to ride like a maverick on the trail is not fair so I think a X3 is in my future when the Prices and availability become more normal (whatever that means).

The S3 springs have gotten such good reviews that I still think I will try them out as I agree with most reviews that the stock Defender springs leave a lot to be desired.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts