Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 2004 Outlander 400 Max with about 8750 miles / 14,000 kms on it, and always well looked after. From what I have read, the timing chain on these machines from that era tended to stretch prematurely, and an updated one is available. For some time now I've been hearing a rattle at a slightly high rpm, but only on that one rpm spot. I can't tell exactly what rpm it is as I don't have a meter to check. I've searched everywhere for a possible source, but haven't found any loose metal or plastic to cause the rattle, making me think that maybe it's the timing chain and worn guides.

I've read that some riders have changed theirs at around 13-14,000 miles, so maybe it's not the timing chain rattling but for the life of me I can't find any other source. Can anyone enlighten me on the possibility that I may have to change the chain and guides? Maybe even the tensioner? It's winter so the garage is cold to be taking the valve cover off, along with the plastic covering the front end, to check how far the tensioner is inside. I've done the adjuster from the outside though, to no avail. Perhaps those of you who have made the timing change can help me out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would pull the valve cover and see how many threads the cam chain tensioner is out.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
367 Posts
I would change them now before a big problem happens. Not worth the risk of waiting. Pistons and heads cost way more than a timing chain set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts