Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I finally picked a set of tires. Well lets say, I've narrowed it down to four. I mostly ride trails, but I'm an occasional mud rider. Its no fun, you're not hitting any mudholes, imo haha. Nothing too deep, like over your racks.

1. Zillas, two sizes here. 27s or 28s?
27s comes out to 92 lbs and 108 lbs in 28s.

2. BigHorn Radials, two sizes here also. 26s or 27s?
26s comes out to 106 lbs and 113 lbs in 27s.

3. ITP Blackwater Evos. 26s comes out to 112 lbs.

4. Outlaw MST's 26s comes out to 114 lbs.

All are very good tires, thats the order in my selection. If I get the Zillas, I know they will perform best in the mud. I'm just worried about how soft they are and how fast they would wear. I do ride a some gravel/asphalt roads before I get to my trails, only big concern there.

If, I get the Bighorns, I know I'm gonna get the best trail tire. Just wonder how they do in mud? I know they're no Outlaw or Silverback. Just wonder what everyone opinions are?

I would say the BW Evos are the toughest in the group with their 8 plys. I know some of you guys run em on here. Has anyone ran both Bighorns and BW Evos? Just wondering which you like better.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Knowing the trails you will be riding, I would recommend bighorns out of the ones you listed. They will wear like steel (probably out last your bike) handle well and give a good ride. I run 28" Zillas on my Grizzly and have been very happy with those tires, but I ride a lot more mud and a lot less pavement than you do. I have no experience with the other two so I can't say anything about them.

One other tire I would recommend checking into would be Roctanes. There are 4 guys that I ride with that have switched to them on both ATV's and SxS's. They do really well in the mud for a trail tire. I was impressed at the holes at busco that I saw them go thru. I've also seen them on high speed rides at Hatfield McCoy. They handled well and showed absolutely no signs of wear after two 200 mile plus rides on the pavement and rocky / gravel trails at HMT.

As for the weights, just keep it reasonable and clutch it accordingly and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I've not had all of the mentioned tires either. But from what you're saying your ride styles are, and needs, I would go with the bighorns.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have two of the tires you have in your list. I have a set of 28" Zillas on 14" rims and a set of 26" Big horns on 12" rims. I love the Zillas, and they work good in 28x14, 27x12 would also be a great choice. They roll smooth, do great in the mud and are really light compared to other tires that offer comparable traction. The reason I got a second set of tires and went with the Big Horns is because of wear, I live on the east coast of Canada and we have really mixed terrain depending on how close to the coast you ride. Riding the rockier hard packed trails were chewing my rear Zillas up fast, especially with how easily the 1000 can light them up. So I bought a set of 26" bighorns and switch em out depending on where Im going, expensive to run two sets, but worth it for me. The bighorns are great tires and on hardpack trails hook up better than Zillas because of the really flat/square radial profile putting a tonne of tread on the ground. They actually dont do bad in regular trail mud, but as far as hitting big mud holes thats a no go, they are a non directional tread pattern as you know, so they dont clean out great. Having said all of that if I had to go with one set only I'd strongly consider a set of 27" Zillas on a 12" rim, or even 28x14. They wont let you down in any terrain, especially considering you ride mud sometimes your going to need something with some lugs! Even if you wear your rears out in a couple thousand miles, they aren't crazy expensive to replace.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
The Zillas and Bighorns are both great tires. Zs better in mud and BHs better on trail. Those were my 2 choices when I was tire hunting as well.
I decided on the Bearclaw HTRs. Very smooth, 8 ply, better in mud and cheaper than BH, better on trail and snow than the Zs. I have 2000 kms on them and they've been perfect.
There's so many tire choices now that it gets confusing. Only tire I won't recomend is MudLites. They suck!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have over 7,000 miles on my Big Horns and they are over half tread still. I run hard pack 70%, Pavement 20%, Mud 10%. Very pleased with them. And needless to say, I run WOT most of the time!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Sometimes when I go riding, I hardly don't see any mud, but then the other times I do. Half of the trail is mud. So, I'm kinda stuck of what to do.

Saw these Bighorn's yesterday when I was at the dealer that was already on a bike. Looked nice.

Some of the mudholes that I went through yesterday. The one on the left was easy. Deep, but mostly water.

These right here are far worse.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love my zillas I have 28x14s on my grizzly and my 1000xt and I also have pavment for about 2miles before I get to the dirt roads and I am still on the same set of zillas on my grizzly I have about 1500m on them and they still look good. I do 78mph no problem on my 1000xt and bike is still smooth and you dont feel out of control.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks man! Good reply that I was looking for. What's the terrain you're usually in?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I usually ride on pavment straight to my lease which is sand/dirt with some mud....when I go ride down the back roads by my house its 2 miles of pavment then a rock/dirt road for probably 15 miles with some stops at local creeks..I am planning on getting some more 14" rims and put some 29.5 terms on it just because I love the way they look and for hunting season/I want to go deeper time lol...

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
This winter, my 1,000 turned my 27" Zillas 83MPH on hard packed snow on GPS!
No other aggressive tires are that light, so your top speed will suffer a little.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm seeing them how they should be. That outty looks good with the zillas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys, I do have a '14 Grizzly 700 SE. Was gonna get an Outty. But couldn't afford it. So I got a Grizzly instead.

Always, I got my mind set on 27" Zillas or 26/27" ITP Blackwater Evolutions. If I go with Zillas, people are saying I should get 28s instead but idk, I don't like the idea of having too wide of a tire up front. Like to keep it S/W. I'm on more trails then I see mud.

·
Registered
827 Posts
28s measure really short. More like 26.5-27. You can get s/w in 28s and the 14 in rim looks great

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
STI MudTrac? They look great and affordable. Might go that route.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts