Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Oxford blue 2022 Outlander 850 XT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something funny happened to me earlier today. I was ridding and it was very hot. I came to an intersection and coul hear a steady whistle sound coming behind me. I said what the hell 馃檮
Then stopped for a 15 min break, started it, ran 5 sec and died. Wouldn't restart 馃が
Then I had a quick tought and remembered something I had read. Whistle 馃 haha maybe gas tank vent. Opened the cap, 5 sec it fired right up !
Something's wrong there ??
Still under warranty but don't feel like going to the dealer.
Any suggestions to where to check first. Just in case I would find something simple before the dealer.

Thanks
Luc
Canada

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it be just a coincidence the gas cap ?
It would crank and crank no problem but wouldn't fire. 馃が
I tried blowing in the vent tube in the pod and coul hear the tank venting. I tried sucking and nothing so this tells me that both vents seem to work fine.

Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
There's some phenomenon pertaining to vapor lock and/or tank vacuum, going on here. I don't quite grasp the specifics, but somehow, the fuel pump is being prevented from "sucking" in fuel, to then pump out to the injectors. Relieving the pressure in the tank allows for the status quo to return, and all works as intended again.

Reactions: jamidoug

Registered
2018 Outlander 6x6
I got tired of listening to the whistle or horn sound. I found the two check valves and got rid of the noisy one. Now it vents naturally, like every other wheeler I've owned. I also installed an inline filter just so I wouldn't suck any dust, dirt or bugs into my tank! haha Much nicer now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I left a message at my dealer's service email box yesterday. This morning 7:30 got a call. The service guy told me to bring tomorrow first thing.
Easy it's 1km from my house using neighbourhood's little streets 馃槑

Will see !
It's still under warranty until july 馃槈
Will keep you posted !

Registered
2017 Outlander Max DPS
I'm curious if you remember how full your gas tank was at the time of the whistling.

I had the same issue on my 2017 Outlander 570, but with one additional symptom that developed after 1 year of whistling. When running at a steady 20-25 mph under medium load, the machine would sputter with power loss. My temporary solution was exactly like yours. I'd unscrew the gas cap and the problem would go away temporarily. My machine is a 2up model, so when my wife and I would ride, she got to where she'd just vent the cap when she felt it sputter. It got us back to camp every time. LOL!

I ready some forums and decided to replace the three plastic pieces right above the gas tank to the right-hand side of the seat. I believe these are two check valves and a filter. Parts below.
  • Ref:
    Check Valve

• Ref:
    Filter

• Ref:
    Check Valve
Since the part replacement, I've ridden about 300 miles and the whistling hasn't returned. However, I do still experience a sporadic sputter when running at a constant 20-25mph, but not nearly as bad as before. It resolves itself without venting the tank, but I'm sure the problem will return. It NEVER does it with a full tank of gas, but only when I'm down to about a 1/4 tank. It's definitely a pressure-related issue and I'm curious to hear what your dealer has to say.

Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well just picked it up this morning and they didn't find anything 馃槼
Not surprised !

They cleaned the valves (bike is new 馃檮) and apparently checked fuel pump.
I fill it up until it reaches the top. Shake a little level goes down with bubbles.
When it happened my tank was close to 1/2.
I will go for a ride this saturday with a 32C heat.

We'll see !
Luc

Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
Well just picked it up this morning and they didn't find anything 馃槼
Not surprised !

They cleaned the valves (bike is new 馃檮) and apparently checked fuel pump.
I fill it up until it reaches the top. Shake a little level goes down with bubbles.
When it happened my tank was close to 1/2.
I will go for a ride this saturday with a 32C heat.
Yeah not surprised neither. Take it for a ride and let's see what happens. Whether you extend your warranty or not, I'd make sure you keep harassing them with this issue if it keeps happening until they sort it out completely. You don't want to replace any defective parts out of pocket.

Reactions: Vwluca

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The warranty is only 6 months so in july no more !!
I'm debating if I should purchase a 1 year extended warranty. It's $400 馃檮

Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
The warranty is only 6 months so in july no more !!
I'm debating if I should purchase a 1 year extended warranty. It's $400
With today's inflation, I'd definitely pay $400 for 365 days of warranty unless you were super mechanically inclined and capable of fixing any problem you might run into. But then again the cost of a part or two could easily come up to 400.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With today's inflation, I'd definitely pay $400 for 365 days of warranty unless you were super mechanically inclined and capable of fixing any problem you might run into. But then again the cost of a part or two could easily come up to 400.
That's what I thought 馃槈
I could say that I'm a mechanical guy. I did everything on my previous 2016 but like you said, just a few parts and you have busted your $400

thanks for your advice !
Luc

Registered
2018 can-am outlander XT 650 (abs) with mod's
Some Europe models 2018 had tank re-breather hose goes way to hard bend.. So hose get blocked.. It was campaign at -2018 model's. mine got it.. Hose went under seat from some frame hole's.. But fix was just re-round it for easy way to back frame.. It's was really campaign from brp.. So it should be free at charce (warranty)???? Maybe some has not read instructions right from factory?? Or old way has come back...who know's

My repair was done even before it was delivered to "customer"... So for "clear up" i worked as brp dealer mechanic's until 2021... So i have some knowledge before 2021 Europe models...

Reactions: xsever and Tozguy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts