Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 HD Defender needed an oil change at 60 hours of moderate use. Bought the kit from the dealer with the 2.33 quarts and filter and seals.
Got the unit hot and dropped the crank case oil and hot oil drained out. Went to find the oil filter cap and couldn't begin to find it so I put the plug back in and put in approximately 1.75 quarts. Drove it the following week or so and twice while pretty warm and going slow big puffs of white smoke that would fill a room came out.
went to the dealer and they have no clue and showed me where the filter was on another unit but not the same as mine. The book shows the old twin engine and so I finally found a video of a guy changing the oil and filter and it turns out you have to tear the seats and a back panels out and skin your knuckles up to get to it.

prior to the changing I pulled the drain plug and no oil, yet the dip stick shows over full. ran the unit and got it hot after the oil filter change and still no oil out of the drain plug yet the dip stick shows over full.

thoughts please and thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2022 HD Defender needed an oil change at 60 hours of moderate use. Bought the kit from the dealer with the 2.33 quarts and filter and seals.
Got the unit hot and dropped the crank case oil and hot oil drained out. Went to find the oil filter cap and couldn't begin to find it so I put the plug back in and put in approximately 1.75 quarts. Drove it the following week or so and twice while pretty warm and going slow big puffs of white smoke that would fill a room came out.
went to the dealer and they have no clue and showed me where the filter was on another unit but not the same as mine. The book shows the old twin engine and so I finally found a video of a guy changing the oil and filter and it turns out you have to tear the seats and a back panels out and skin your knuckles up to get to it.

prior to the changing I pulled the drain plug and no oil, yet the dip stick shows over full. ran the unit and got it hot after the oil filter change and still no oil out of the drain plug yet the dip stick shows over full.

thoughts please and thank you.
Turns out I was opening up the trans drain plug not the engine.

·
Registered
2017 Defender HD8
508 Posts
Trying to follow along here. Going to assume you have the Limited with HVAC:

So you drained the oil and only put in 1.75qts and drove it around? Then you eventually changed the filter, filled again with remaining oil from the kit you bought? Your machine calls for 2.22qts, not 2.33qts. Probably why your oil dipstick is showing over full.

Then you drained the gearbox on accident and drove it around without refilling?? Please tell us you refilled it before driving again.

White smoke on a warm engine spells trouble.

·
Registered
2019 Defender XTP, H10 Flip Out Glass with wiper/washer, rear glass, winch 39" Tires, Puddle Buste
56 Posts
A buddy put all 3 of the bottles in his after an oil change. After riding on some uneven trails, we stopped, and his blew white smoke. Overfilled.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
7,278 Posts
As mentioned we wonder where the white smoke was coming out of. Burning oil usually shows as black smoke coming out the exhaust system.
Fuel manifests as black smoke. Think of those diesel guys that love to "roll coal".

White smoke is coolant (steam/water), altho in some instances light light grey (oil) could be mistaken for white.

Two separate unrelated issues here, hopefully no long-term damage was done.

The crankcase being overfilled could allow for oil up the CCV system into the intake, giving the "white" (i'm just gonna call it "light grey") out of the exhaust, as mentioned by @wseemann

Hopefully the gearbox had enough oil sticking to the gears shafts bearings n all, that no permanent damage was done while it was briefly run "dry"

Reactions: AZ8 and Tozguy

·
Registered
69 Posts
From some of the questions I wonder why people want to do their own service with no perception or understanding of technical stuff. Sigh.

Ya have to know your limitations. If you go for it my hat is off to you. Hopefully you know how to read a manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts