Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like atvs are the step child of the sport these days with sxs dominating sales now.

So I'm curious why you all have atvs instead of sxs?

Is it because of money?

Is it because you like the feeling of driving vs riding?

Is it because of the freedom?

Easier to transport?

What other reasons?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just don't enjoy driving side by sides. Coming from a XC riding style I like throwing the machine around when riding hard. Tried the side by side world and switched back.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Being belted in unable to move and trapped inside of a cage is not my thing for where ATVs go. If your in dunes by all means but then I would just build a buggy instead of a belt driven buggy lol. I come from sport quads and if you don't move around or can't move around you are done for way more versitility with ATVs. Honestly the sxs now are so damn big it's like driving a small Jeep everywhere without being legal on the roads or having the comfort of a cab. They have there place and they sure are fun looking sometimes but they are also to damn big to go anywhere trail wise. With a ATV you just pop the front wheels off the ground and go over a downed tree not with a sxs unless it's some monster...then it's even bigger for the trails and not suitable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Two totally different riding styles.

You can’t stand up and move around in a sxs like on a quad.

Never liked the idea of being trapped in a cage during a roll over into a creek. When shit goes south while riding a quad, you can usually bail out lol

I’ve always quad rode, it’s the style I prefer to ride and just more practical.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They are boring to me, I don't like being belted in and bounced around, and I also think I am able to be more aggressive on an ATV than in an SXS. Also the few times I have ridden with them in some of the rougher conditions such as deep mud they tend to get stuck more often and are harder to get out which really slows things down and gets annoying after a while.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Same as others ... I wanna ride not drive ... I've ridden sleds for many years and prefer to ride the machine as to drive it .. can be more agressive , throw it around , sit , stand , much more freedom in my opinion , also I use mine for yard work and sxs don't fit the bill for me

·
Registered
70 Posts
Recently wrestled with the very question myself.

My wife can not handle a machine by herself anymore so needed something for "two".

I started out looking at the SxS's. Money was not a factor but to kit up what I would want is approaching the price of a new pick-up truck.

I went with a Max model Outlander in the end because:

It can go in the bed of my pick-up and I can still tow the boat.

Most of the SxS's models I would be interested in will not go in the back of my pick-up so would have to always trailer it.

It is not restricted to "wide" trails. I use my machine to hunt/fish very remote locations often with no trails at all - my Max is barely nimble enough compared to a (standard) machine.

I'm not super tall (6'1") but most SxS's, even with the seat as far back as possible left me feeling like a grasshopper - there just isn't any room in them.

To make a SxS 4 season functional all the "add-on's" added 50% to the sticker price.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Many in my group are going back to quads after having SxS's. Seems in a group ride, regardless of terrain, we are ALWAYS waiting for the SxS's.....and we really don't ride aggressively. Yes, in the super deep mud holes, a well set up SxS with monster sized tires will out-do a quad....but they also break things A LOT. Documented. We've got guys with turbos, lifts, bigger front diffs, aftermarket bla bla bla....and they still break down 10:1 over the quads.

I like to poke 'em, "with age, comes a cage". Honestly, when I can't ride a quad any more, I'll just wrap it up and stick to pavement....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Went through this a couple months back. My main reasons
A) Quads are much more capable in riding the trails and terrain around here
A) I have much more knowledge in quads over that in SxSs. a lot may be transferable but I feel more comfortable this way in regards to maintaining and wrenching them
B) The GF has never done the ATV/SxS thing so I dont even know if she'll like it or not. If she doesnt like it, I dont really want to ride around in a SxS by myself and this way I have something I know I enjoy and if she does end up liking it, doubling is an option or if she wants her own machine I will probably be able to pick one up for less combined than the SxS models I was interested in
C) As odd as it may seem, the way I'm set up its easier for me to store 2 ATVs over one SxS. Hauling I can do 1 quad in the truck box or two quads on the double trailer vs. the double trailer everywhere for the SxS

Reactions: DaveB

·
Registered
837 Posts
Our decision was a combination of a handful of things.

One was money at the time. We wanted a camper and an ATV or SxS, and as a package deal you are looking at close to or over $40k for a camper (toy hauler) big enough for a 4 seater SxS and a family.

Limited on camper length at this time due to my hunting property having a steep departure angle. Anything over 24' and you are running the risk of dragging your rear end when leaving. Not to mention I live in town, with a small fenced in yard for the buttheads, i mean bulldogs. So we needed something small enough to fit in the back yard, hold a toy, but yet big enough for 4.

Another is that we have two tiny humans (4 and almost 2), so neither are the size I am comfortable with them riding in a SxS at this moment in time. Especially with the Tiniest human being on the extra small side (19lb weight). Hard to put carseats in.

Another was that i wanted something nimble enough to go through tight and twisting trails in our sugar bush with and a 4 seater SxS isn't that at all.

However when the time comes, and we get a house not in town, we will be upgrading the camper, and eventually getting that 4 seater SxS for the kiddos to ride in the back. Figure i can use it for family outings and teaching the kiddos how to drive something other than an old farm tractor ;)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Similar to what every one has said, I came from the old 2 stroke days on motorcycles. I like to stand up & ride can stretch my back. Also I absolutely love the 50" trails by far the best riding. With that said probably will also buy a 50" Maverick trail in the near future for the wife

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just dislike sxs riding. It's not like riding a quad, it's more like riding a car.
I like standing on the footwells when riding rough terrain, or cornering, etc.

It's like asking why do you drive a bike, why don't you drive a car.

I have a car, and I can go on gravel roads with it.
But I have a quad, and I enjoy the riding.
Also way smaller to transport, fits easier in my garage, etc.

My wife says that sxs are for old people and she calls them golf carts....

Reactions: steelejones1

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am a detailing guy that must have his toy looking as if it just came out from the dealer after every riding them. WASHING A SXS IS A PAIN IN THE ASS. Takes half a day.

Also everyone I know that got a SXS 7 years ago when it was "the new thing" all sold them and are back on quads.

·
Registered
284 Posts
SxS's are just plain boring, especially if you're the passenger.
They are a pain to get clean.
They require more room to store, transport, and maneuver.
Can't take the big ones on 50" trails, and the smaller ones just aren't as quick down the tight trails as an atv.
They are harder to work on.
They kick up more dust.
You can't stand up and stretch without stopping.
In my home state, SxS's are a class 2 ohv which means they are not allowed on groomed snowmobile trails. Atvs are, and I enjoy riding year round.

I will never use a SXS for trail riding. I might buy one someday for hauling big game and hunting gear around, but I think a small, 4x4 pickup truck or Jeep would probably be better.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Steering wheels just are not that fun on a tight trail IMO! i have never had the thought of getting rid of the quad for one but a few friends of mine made the switch only to come back to quads a short time later. they just said it was not nearly as fun. I do see more and more SxS out on the trail, two things i noticed. first they are always parked on the side of the trail in a big group, and it seems more of a get out and drink alcohol type thing. second i see a lot more wifes and girl friends. now i like spending time with the significant other but out riding is kind of a get away with your own friends and clear your mind for awhile with zero worries type of thing for me. its just fun to sling a quad into a turn fast and pull the front end up on a straight away, something i don't think would be near as cool on a sxs.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
You all have good points. They are harder to clean, a pain to store and transport, can’t stand and stretch, cannot lean into corners for fast riding, cannot pull wheelies and cannot haul ass on tight trails. That’s what an ATV is for and why I bought a 1000 Outlander. BUT, the best of both worlds is also a hell of a lot of fun. Traded in my YXZ for a X3 Xrc Turbo (64”). Only a passenger once, that’s how I ended up with the YXZ. Now I have a new nickname in the group I ride with, affectionately known as ASSHOLE! Ex wife uses the same nickname. No matter what I’m riding, I’m smiling.
I will be keeping both the ATV and the SXS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
You all have good points. They are harder to clean, a pain to store and transport, can’t stand and stretch, cannot lean into corners for fast riding, cannot pull wheelies and cannot haul ass on tight trails. That’s what an ATV is for and why I bought a 1000 Outlander. BUT, the best of both worlds is also a hell of a lot of fun. Traded in my YXZ for a X3 Xrc Turbo (64”). Only a passenger once, that’s how I ended up with the YXZ. Now I have a new nickname in the group I ride with, affectionately known as ASSHOLE! Ex wife uses the same nickname. No matter what I’m riding, I’m smiling.
I will be keeping both the ATV and the SXS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my ex calls me the same thing.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have both. They all excel in different situations.

the sxs is more of a race car than a golf cart, and thats how I drive it. There are thousands of miles of forest roads and logging roads I can access from my house, they are boring to ride a quad on but absolutely amazing in a sxs. They are also pretty fun in the dunes, and there are a few of those here in Oregon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where I go you can't take a heavy sxs. In the muskeg and swamps of Alaska a sxs will be belly deep as soon as you take it off the trailer. This is why I bought a new outlander 6x6. I need greater distribution of weight, not even more weight.
I can't imagine rebuilding the 10 or so bridges (basically just a bunch of small black spruce cut down and laid across) on my cabin trail to support a sxs. I think I would wet myself just trying to drive across.

·
Registered
2020 Outlander DPS 850, 2016 Outlander Max XT 1000R
45 Posts
The great pleasure of telling people who want to be a passenger no because it's only got one seat. Unless my wife or daughters are with me the second seat stays off the Max just to keep passengers away. I am extremely intolerant of back seat drivers bitching about going to fast and how dangerous things are.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts