Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 outlander 570 and crazy heat from the left side. Is this mostly because the Cvt exhaust for some reason dumps right onto the exhaust pipe therefor blowing all the hot air right on your leg and making the plastics so hot they either feel like they are going to melt or just so hot you can barely touch the plastics. What is the cheapest easiest fix. Only mod my bike has is the rad relocation.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yes you are correct, the cvt exhaust is right there and they run lean. All Belt drive atvs run hot besides yammi and suzuki, but can ams are definitely the hottest. On my 570 I ran a piece aluminum angle bolted to the piece of aluminum behind the plastic. It helps deflect the cvt exhaust towards the back of machine. It helps a little bit. A lot of guys also get the ecu flashed to richen up fuel a little. A lot of guys swear by this but a lot of guys also say it doesn't change much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you are correct, the cvt exhaust is right there and they run lean. All Belt drive atvs run hot besides yammi and suzuki, but can ams are definitely the hottest. On my 570 I ran a piece aluminum angle bolted to the piece of aluminum behind the plastic. It helps deflect the cvt exhaust towards the back of machine. It helps a little bit. A lot of guys also get the ecu flashed to richen up fuel a little. A lot of guys swear by this but a lot of guys also say it doesn't change much.
Pretty bad after spending this much on a machine and we have to dump more cash into fixing can am’s design flaws. Is there a cheap way to re route the Cvt exhaust so it’s not dumping onto the hot pipes. Looking for cheap fixes as I just dumped all my cash into purchasing the bike and can’t justify spending 400$ the first week and having bike down while sending the ecu to be reflashed

·
Registered
35 Posts
Know the problem and act accordingly. I see on YouTube people riding in thigh high mud, getting stuck, and spinning the wheels at full throttle. Unbelievable!

Prior to my Can-Am I had a John Deere Lawn Tractor and it was air cooled only, but it had a direct drive fan as part of its design, and nothing could over heat the machine. It sure would be nice for Can-Am to have something like that, but there is only so much engine builders can do without sacrificing other aspects of performance. The John Deere had a top speed of 4.5mph, one wheel drive, no suspension, no instrument gauges, etc. The Can-Am is so much more, but at a cost. Act accordingly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The EPA and trying to pass emissions tests are why they run so hot.

Don't blame BRP.
I understand that but doesn’t Suzuki, Yamaha and all other companies have to pass the same emission tests? My brother in laws king quad barely even gets warm mean while I’m cooking eggs on my machine lol. I love my bike I’m just trying to find someone who has found a cost effective solution. The last thing I want to do is ignore the heat problem and then my bike start melting or catch on fire. I just want to Elbe able to ride and not worry about anything.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Pretty bad after spending this much on a machine and we have to dump more cash into fixing can am’s design flaws. Is there a cheap way to re route the Cvt exhaust so it’s not dumping onto the hot pipes. Looking for cheap fixes as I just dumped all my cash into purchasing the bike and can’t justify spending 400$ the first week and having bike down while sending the ecu to be reflashed
Its not the CV exhaust that is creating the extra heat its actually helping distribute the heat... the engines run hot due to tuning... These machines also have way more power than the competition in the same class

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not the CV exhaust that is creating the extra heat its actually helping distribute the heat... the engines run hot due to tuning... These machines also have way more power than the competition in the same class
Did you have similar heat problems. If so what did you do to help/resolve the issue?

·
Registered
518 Posts
nothing.... while i agree the machines do run hot and at some point i will get it tuned. I find as long as im moving its not really a issue... I do both trail and road riding so my speed range is all over the place but as long as it has air movement it seems to be fine. I also wear riding pants that also have the protection in them so i don't notice it as much as other people i guess

·
Registered
35 Posts
Saw this on YouTube.

I once had a 2003 Grizzly 660, and the heat was an issue for many. Yamaha sent me new panels to help with the problem. Personally, I never noticed the heat, but put the panels on anyways. At the time I was living in Palmdale, Ca --think Mojave Desert. When it was hot outside, I did not ride the grizzly. It was basically a fall/winter/spring machine for me. Even riding a dirt bike, walking the dog, getting the mail was to hot.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The reason yamaha and zuke cvts don't run hot is because they run a wet clutch as part of there cvt system, so the belt is always tight. There belt covers are Luke warm to the touch. But look who runs the the can am style cvt, Polaris and kawi, all three run similar and they put out the most power and are most fun to ride😁. Can am clutches definitely run hotter then any other brand though by far.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Not Can Ams fault at all, 100% EPA emissions. To fix, get an ECM reflash that adds Fuel and turns on the fan at 180'. Wrap the headers with Header wrap and silicone header wrap spray. add reflective heat tape to inner plastic side panels. remove front and side plastic panels that are not needed. you could also reroute the CVT exhaust.
all can ams starting with the 570 are all performance type Atvs in there particular CC class. HP causes heat, can am has long been know for this, this is nothing new since 2006. Fixes have and always will be the buyers responsibility after purchase. like every thing you buy you must research, during research this is usual the first thing that pops up with can am is the heat issue. fix the issue and be done but even fixing the issue riding in the 95 to 100 degree weather its still going to feel hot as hell with the current conditions we have this summer.
yamaha, suzuki and others are far from performance atvs, hell your 570 will smoke there 700/750 class atvs. they have way less heat but half the HP, you have to ask your self what do you want? shit power and no heat or gobs of power and heat. you bought a Can am so you get power and heat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not Can Ams fault at all, 100% EPA emissions. To fix, get an ECM reflash that adds Fuel and turns on the fan at 180'. Wrap the headers with Header wrap and silicone header wrap spray. add reflective heat tape to inner plastic side panels. remove front and side plastic panels that are not needed. you could also reroute the CVT exhaust.
all can ams starting with the 570 are all performance type Atvs in there particular CC class. HP causes heat, can am has long been know for this, this is nothing new since 2006. Fixes have and always will be the buyers responsibility after purchase. like every thing you buy you must research, during research this is usual the first thing that pops up with can am is the heat issue. fix the issue and be done but even fixing the issue riding in the 95 to 100 degree weather its still going to feel hot as hell with the current conditions we have this summer.
yamaha, suzuki and others are far from performance atvs, hell your 570 will smoke there 700/750 class atvs. they have way less heat but half the HP, you have to ask your self what do you want? shit power and no heat or gobs of power and heat. you bought a Can am so you get power and heat.
Thanks for all the info. I can’t afford to do the re flash just yet unfortunately but I will try and do the exhaust wrap and silicone spray. I have been searching local stores for the wrap but was only able to find 1inch by 50 feet here in Ottawa Is that good or should I order 2 inch by 50 feet online? Also could you please show me which panel I should remove. I think I know which one it is, it’s sort of a large panel just to the rear of the front fender right. If that’s the one do I remove just the left side or also the right side one? Will this cause a ton of mud build up around the engine though?

thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is this the panel you take off?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i have had good luck with the cool tech original black wrap 2inch wide and i over lap about an inch on each wrap. then use the DEI silicone spray, when you do the wrap get it wet first so its a lot easier to get on tight.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
yes i remove those side panels in the fender wells when i ride when its hot out. i would remove the ones about the clutch and crank case if your model has them as well basically anything that holds in hot air or restricts air flowing coming in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2018 outlander 570 and crazy heat from the left side. Is this mostly because the Cvt exhaust for some reason dumps right onto the exhaust pipe therefor blowing all the hot air right on your leg and making the plastics so hot they either feel like they are going to melt or just so hot you can barely touch the plastics. What is the cheapest easiest fix. Only mod my bike has is the rad relocation.
I just added a length of 2" aluminum L to divert the heat away from the footwell. It solved the problem for about $5.

IMG_0495.JPG

1 - 20 of 68 Posts