Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Because many of us see this class of vehicle as an extension of the category of motorcycle, or motorbike.
This is likely because of riding/seating position; upright with legs straddling frame/fuel tank using handlebars to steer and hand controls for accelerator/brake.
Notice the term bike is never used for utility atvs or SxS as the seating position changes to become more car like.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
We call them "units" be it an atv or sxs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
LOL..........always wondered the same thing, I just use the term 'quad', I have a bicycle & call it a 'bike' :)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I've called them bikes, quads, four wheelers, or atvs...just whatever comes in my head at the time. Don't have a reason for calling them one name over the other...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I catch myself calling them bikes at times, Im not really thinking when I say it, more of a habit since I started out on Dirtbikes. I've even caught myself calling my sled a bike at times lol, everyone knows what I mean though

·
Registered
951 Posts
cuz they are

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I use "bike" when im talking with people who are into the sport. I say 4 wheeler when with people who aren't into it. Quad just doesn't sound right and ATV just doesn't roll off the tongue. Bike is just easier to say

·
Registered
951 Posts
What's a trike? A bike with 3rd wheel. It's still a bike

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quad.

or

ATV.

Bike makes no sense to me.

Reactions: NWI