Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to attach an email I sent to all my riding friends and others that I sent to can am earlier today... The summary is, my quad burnt a hole through my valve cover that allowed water to get into my engine. It shut down, I brought it in. The dealership said it did came in through the valve cover, there are no signs of any water intrusion through the intakes. Can am covered the hole in the valve cover and told the dealership to flush it out with oil changes.
So I picked it up a day before my hatfield McCoy trip. Drove 8.5 hrs pulled the quad off the trailer, and it died before I even made it to the trail head. Came home early, took back to dealer. They ended up taking the motor out, split the case and found worn rod bearings, worn main bearings and basically a destroyed bottom end. There is a screen at the bottom of the case for the oil pump that was completely clogged. All with less than 2 miles from first visit to dealership. Dealership then presented a case to can am showing that in fact the damage if from the previous valve cover issue and showed that water did not enter from anywhere else.. CAN AM SAID THEY WILL NIT COVER THE MOTOR. And btw, I bought this thing in November... I'll post the email next.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Damien,

I just received note that your company, CAN AM, will not honor warranty for the motor on my brand new machine. I would like a written response on the reasons why you guys feel it is not from a manufacture defect. I will be sending the email trail to all of the customers I have referred, along with my fellow riders in my ATV club (that ride the same trails I do), the can-am forums, the can-am off road facebook page, Ostacruiser page, along with the creditor that financed my machine and my attorney. Please attach Giovanni Antonucci, who seems to be the ultimate decision maker on the issue. I will give your company 1 last chance to make this right.

2015 Can AM Outlander XTP 1000 purchased in November 2014 VIN 3JBKAP23FJ00556

1st visit to the dealer, (case# 00458435) My ATV was brought in to Ken's Sales and Service because IT STOPPED RUNNING AND WATER WAS TO THE TOP OF THE CRANK CASE AT THE DIP STICK. When diagnosed, a hole over the size of a quarter was found through a melted plastic valve cover.

When diagnosed by the dealer, THERE WAS NO SIGN OF WATER THROUGH ANY OF THE INTAKES. MY machine does have BRP manufactured snorkel kit, THAT YOUR COMPANY SOLD TO ME FOR AN EXTRA $400 THAT SAYS IT IS DESIGNED TO KEEP WATER FROM ENTERING THE INTAKE. As the dealership stated, it did its job and there was no sign of water intrusion through the intakes. I also purchased, FOR ANOTHER ADDITIONAL $400, A BRP RADIATOR RELOCATION KIT. Your website states, "The Radiator relocation kit keeps things from boiling over on muddy trails, relocating the radiator up top in front of the handlebars where it stays cleaner and your engine cooler."

AT NO POINT IN ANY OF MY RIDING DID MY ATV OVERHEAT OR TELL ME THAT IT WAS RUNNING TOO HOT.

Your resolution to this case was, you gave "the benefit of the doubt" that the water did intrude through the valve cover and Can Am did warranty the valve cover as a defective part. Ken's Sales and Service followed CAN AM's instruction to replace the defective valve cover and to flush the oil in the motor. They also added another heat shield to prevent this from happening again.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I picked up the ATV a day before my weekend trip to Hatfield-McCoy trail system in West Virginia. (8.5hr ride from Buffalo, NY).This is my truck, in West Virginia, with 3 of the CAN AM's that were all purchased within the last 6 months because I spoke and thought so highly of your company and product.

X

On the first day of the trip, a group of fifteen of us decided to go on a short run. It was 4 miles of road riding to the trail head, and mine completely stopped running and shut down before we even got to the trails. Then I was towed back and we spent the rest of the night to try and get it running again. After changing the oil numerous times and the plugs, we did get it started, but I was worried of my brand new ATV breaking down in the middle of our long ride the next day.

Needless to say, the trip was cut short and i immediately brought my ATV back to Ken's again. A waste of a cabin rental ($500), WV rider permit ($50) 17Hrs of driving along with gas expense of over $300 just to drive all the way there and back with ZERO riding.

Case# 00465545
Ken's Sales and Service then opened this case to CAN AM and stated:

-"Performed compression test, leakdown test, and oil pressure test, there is a knocking from the engine, this machine had previous water damage." This lead to authorization to pull the motor from the chassis and open up to see what the issue is. This is when it was discovered that there was mud caught in the oil pump screen in the crank case which cause wear to the motor internals."

- "We believe when the valve cover melted mud and water got into the engine through the valve cover, when we preformed that repair we flushed the engine by changing the oil 3 times, ist it possible not all the mud was evacuated? The screen was muddy this time when we disassembled it, we found no evidence of mud or water coming in through the intake on the first time or this time, dry and clean like new, we firmly believe mud remained in the engine, there was 2 miles on it between the customer pickup the machine and bringing it back with more issues"

This is when Giovanni Antonucci, at CAN AM stated:

"After reviewing the case with Ken, we have both come to the same conclusion. The last claim was paid on "give the benefit of the doubt" due to the melted valve cover and water in the engine which can enter due to splash." "With the engine that has now been dismantled, you can see mud in the oil screen. This means the customer went somewhere deep enough to allow mud to enter the engine and not just water from splashing. The owners guide does specify to go into water above the floor boards and some of the pictures you have provided show a very muddy unit, well above the floorboards. We have determined that this failure is not considered a manufactures defect but a result of accidental damage. Please let me know if you require further assistance." - this is verbatim what was sent to Ken's.

This is what caused me to open customer complaint case 00471463 Where Ken's Sales and Service, your dealer, stated:

"Damien, I would really like to get this taken care of for our customer as well as out of my shop. It has now been completely torn down taking up an entire lift table in my shop for a couple weeks. I have been back and forth with Gio on what we are going to do and have at least 10 hours into tear down and case updates on something that I truly feel should be warranty. This is a dedicated loyal customer in a group of numerous Can-Am riders who all have late model machines and like to spend money. Let's make this right and move on!!"

Your best offer is to cover half the cost of the motor, which will still put me at over a $3,000.00 bill at the end of the day for something that is literally not my fault. Not to mention the cost in labor to your dealership. You have made your margins, and now its time to stand behind your product.

My rebuttal to your statement in the above denial of warranty: If the motor never stopped running in the first place, I would have never discovered the hole in the valve cover. Thus causing future and premature wear and failure to the engine anyway from entry of debris and water over time between riding and washing. Also, I purchased every aftermarket accessory you have available to specifically avoid engine overheating and water intrusion that both promise to do so. If i have to worry about water getting into my motor from anywhere but the intake, then you are ripping people off by selling the snorkel and radiator kits in the first place and I should be reimbursed for them if this is the case. As far as it being a muddy unit, as you can see by your ad that I attached above, splashing water will cause a muddy machine, and the water will go everywhere. You obviously do not even ride if you stated that. I ride with many of the same late model can ams all on the same trails, AND MINE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT THIS HAPPENED TO.

The valve cover is the only way that debris and water got in, if there was no faulty valve cover in the first place, we would not be even talking and i would still be riding with all the can am people you see attached to this email.

What hurts the most out of this whole thing is that I truly did believe in your product. Every time I sat on my machine, It was a feeling of pride that i have the best and worked hard for it. I was happy to purchase from Ken's because the whole staff are true enthusiasts of the sport. I also shared my experiences with friends and family to the point that all I received for Christmas was CAN AM swag and accessories. You have ruined that for me. Now I look at my machine and all i can think is a huge Multi million dollar corporation that does not care about its customers or dealer network and does not stand behind their product. It is not just me that is stating that this is all manufacture issue, but so is your dealership who has already lost time and money and customers on this issue.

I will begin posting this email to various sites and forums and forward this email to addresses I am still waiting on. I will also post your response.

I look forward to you quick reply

​-Kevin Nowak Jr

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I dont get it, what is Can Am saying that you did that is preventing them from warrantying it?
That he went over the floorboards in water which the manual states your not supposed to do. Had to look for myself as I took my XMR in for an $850 warranty claim that was denied on these same grounds. I still chuckle when the can am commercials come on tv and show the xmr slogging through a mud pit. I still bought a maverick after the denied claim but did so knowing the warranty wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
if it was $850 I would bitch till told no and end up just paying. Unfortunately I don't have the $3k they want from me. And if I never found the hold in the valve cover, the same thing would have eventually happened to me... it's really heart breaking, it's like a kid being told there's no Santa.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I feel bad for you....it's not right that companies now a days don't stand by their product....I hope u sue and win big...let us know what happens...this sounds like typical BRP B.S. ..

Reactions: Orangelander1000

·
Registered
169 Posts
Damn bro, sorry to hear about the crappy customer service from them, I'd be just as pissed & not wanna stick with Can Am probably. Makes me even more worried now God forbid something happens........Hope mine brings me many miles of smiles without something breaking. Trust everything works out for you & swings your way & BRP gets their head outta their ass & starts standing behind their warranties.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I hope it works too. Its 4am here and i cant sleep over this. CAN AM says that maybe because I was mud riding, the lack of airflow made the exhaust too hot. Sounds like a fire hazard to me, aND a crock of b.s.. They even checked my computer, it never got hot or overheated. It had to be running way lean.
I live in Buffalo, NY and I'm sure you've seen on the news the amount of snow we got this year. This was literally the first time I had it out with the snorkle kit and rad relocator with out snow or ice on the ground. It was still only 45-50 degrees on that day which means the ground was still wet and cold.
It's not like I'm lying about the whole thing either, the dealer is on the same page. No water ever entered the intakes. And mud/ dirt and water can still splash and get through that hole and ruin the engine.
their responses have been more than comical, especially withe advertising they do that show them splashing through mud. This isn't my first quad, if it was my doings, I would own up to it, but I think I did everything right and I shouldn't have to eat any costs to replace.
the "muddy unit" comment this Giovani guy makes, shows he has no clue about his product and consumers.
It makes me sad that this corporate guy cost me time and money and killed a passion of mine, cost his dealership time and money, definitely lost future business for CAN AM, still gets to collect his paycheck and sleep well ripping people off.

I'm guessingthe reson it can't be in water above the foot wells is because there may be a hole in your motor aparently. Lol sorry for rant, I figure this is the best place to do it

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Ken's Sales and Service
I hate to publicly badmouth any dealer but their service department just BLOWS CHUNKS .
Never , ever , ever again will I darken their door .
They had my Renegade from November last year 'till the beginning of Feb. 2015 It sat , I called , it sat , no change , I called , it sat .... until I finally went & got it & it looked like it hadn't been even looked at .
Took it to the one in Chaffee & 8 days later was picked up repaired & perfect .

Ken's service & sales . Where "we put service first " :th_smiliebarf:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recommend if you have one of the outlanders write to can am and dealer to request changing the plastic value covers as a pro active move. They should pull an engine off the line and send it to Kens to honor the warranty. It's product fraud if Can Am stands to basically rob this customer. It's a lemon. ..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ken's Sales and Service
I hate to publicly badmouth any dealer but their service department just BLOWS CHUNKS .
Never , ever , ever again will I darken their door .
They had my Renegade from November last year 'till the beginning of Feb. 2015 It sat , I called , it sat , no change , I called , it sat .... until I finally went & got it & it looked like it hadn't been even looked at .
Took it to the one in Chaffee & 8 days later was picked up repaired & perfect .

Ken's service & sales . Where "we put service first " :th_smiliebarf:

Sorry to hear this, Ken's has been nothing but good and timely for me, and as you see from my previous post, supportive in this situation. The only reason they may lose me is because of can am, not because of the dealership.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I recommend if you have one of the outlanders write to can am and dealer to request changing the plastic value covers as a pro active move. They should pull an engine off the line and send it to Kens to honor the warranty. It's product fraud if Can Am stands to basically rob this customer. It's a lemon. ..

Plastic valve covers are pretty stupid:th_smiliefrustrated:smilietwocents:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel your frustration, most any warranty claim is scrutinized and trying to find blame other than manufactures shortcomings. that is why there are so many recall actions with products, they usually only do something when forced by a higher authority. we own 3 CanAm's a 650,800,and 1000 I will be checking the 1000 for valve cover issues tonight. These are not cheap units to buy, and you expect a dealer to go to bat for you , (I even purchased the extended warranty for them )they don't typically make a lot of money doing warranty repairs, but they take the gravy with the Grissel. Good luck, keep us updated on the progress.

·
Registered
672 Posts
This is very dissappointing to hear to say the least, There has to be someone else to direct your case towards. These machines were designed for some mud and water. Its what we do. Come on Can-Am step up and take care of the man.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Mav goes boom...
We all followed this guys struggle on the mav forum. Can am went so far as to snoop in this guys social media and claimed he was racing his mav. Give it a read if yall have time. Once a lawyer was brought in he got his engine covered.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Damn, I hope Can Am steps up. I fully agree with your opinion of Ken's. They have been GREAT to me. Hopefully you can get this resolved soon. I know the crew at Ken's will do all they can to help, They sure have for me. Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.