Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned in a previous thread that my rear drive shaft popped out of the yoke while riding.. I was going about 12 mph when it did..

Any idea why it would do that? the drive shaft was phased correctly, it was greased and the pinion bolt is in..

Has anyone else had this happen? I seem to keep having problems with the rear drive system.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Was there a bolt in the center of the output shaft? It is supposed to be bolted at both ends.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes there's a bolt on both ends

·
Registered
267 Posts
The only way it would slip out, is if something shortened lol Is there a piece of the splined part of the driveshaft that broke off? Drive shaft twisted at all? Or could be something is so worn that it's causing it to pop out.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If the splined end of shift did not break off something must have moved.. check that rear differential is firmly bolted in place. It's not supposed to move. If this checks out go to the engine mounts next.
Make sure engine, gearbox, differential are properly immobilized.... IMHO..One of these has to move for the splines to pull out of shaft.
Oh... One more thing, broken frame?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The diff is tight, I'm unsure about the mounts and I sure hope the frame isn't cracked. I don't believe it is from the last time I looked under the bike. The shock mounts don't seemed to be cracked either.
Is the rubber boot that covers the splines necessary? It's almost $30 for one.. I see many other bikes without boots on their slip joints.
Plus I still have to replace the seals in the front diff and the front output shaft seal.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's there for a reason obviously but dang that's not cheap lol, it's there to keep crap out and grease in the split joint. Take some pics of the rear end of the bike, maybe can help you spot something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this happen to my honda...come find out that when my joint broke the spring popped out and was lost. So when I installed the new unit the joint broke after 40 minutes of riding. After doing some research I realize there is a spring that goes in between the shaft and differential which keep pressure on everything...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I had this happen to my honda...come find out that when my joint broke the spring popped out and was lost. So when I installed the new unit the joint broke after 40 minutes of riding. After doing some research I realize there is a spring that goes in between the shaft and differential which keep pressure on everything...
There is no spring on these bikes .
If the bolts are in the gearbox output shaft & diff input shaft , either :
1 your differential bolts sheared off ( not likely )
2 your rear ( or both ) engine mounts let go .
3 your frame is broken .

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How is to install/change motor mounts for these bikes?
Also if that's the case, what would be a good set to pick up?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh and if my frame is cracked, Which I hope it isn't, your pretty much screwed and have to get a whole new frame correct? I cracked the frame on my old grizzly but welded some angle iron over the tubes and it was good. Wondering if the same could be done on these.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
All depends on where & how bad it's busted .
Mine was cracked right behind the A-arms & slipped 3 pieces of square tube in under Outtyupfront's watchful eye.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Those 1" tubes? I think I'm going to do that for mine.. Here's some pictures of things.. The shaft isn't sheared.. The frame appears to be ok, there's no dents, or cracks I can see.. And can't really tell about the motor mounts.. But what type of motor mounts should I replace them with? Is there a better choice for them or just oem?

Oh and the oil you see on the ground is from my front pinion seal and the front output shaft seal leaking..

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
You can buy solid motor mounts from Mrrpm. Not trying to be a dick but those pictures are terrible. They don't show anything but your motor mounts lol and the quality isn't the best, i know it's a pain to get a camera in there lol. Post some pics of the rear diff, rear section of the frame, more the rear shaft, ect.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes I know, I looked over my posts after and noticed how crappy the pictures were. I don't have a camera so my iPhone is all I have. I'll try and get the shop lights all in there to really light it up. Maybe they turn out better.

Are mrrpm's a better choice for motor mounts? I'm assuming that's what the issue is because the front output shaft and pinion seal went out too, makes me believe it's from the movement.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Haven't tried them so can't really tell you how they are, they're only 80$ mind you, which is pretty dang good. Ive thought of buying some for mine just to make it easier on the driveline when the rubber ones wear out. There's a good chance that the worn motor mounts are causing the driveline problems. Does the motor seem to flex lots when revving it up? Get someone to rev it and take a close look at the motor mounts to see if there's excessive movement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts