Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort not to embarrass myself more than I already have, I will not give the details of how this happened. Yesterday the negative wire to my battery came loose and my ATV instantly died. I was discussing this with a buddy and he told me I would have been able to start the ATV (800 Outlander) if I had a pull start. I got to wondering if he was right and what kind of charging systems my ATV and others have. I had my lights on when mine quit. If I had not had them on, would it have kept running? Does the battery have to be hooked up to complete the circuit? Will the Outlander keep running with a dead battery after you have started it (jumped it or boosted)? How do ATVs with pull starts run if their battery is dead?

Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
No, it will not. The fuel injection system and ECU on the outlanders need a full 12 volts for them to run. I put some aftermarket lights on mine and accidentally left them on, I jump started it and as soon as I unhooked the cables, the bike died, the battery was still to weak to run the machine. I had to put it on a trickle charger and charge it all night. What made it really difficult was the charger was giving me an error code and would not charge because the battery was totally dead. I ended up jumping it from a deep cycle battery, leaving it run with the cable hooked up for about 30 minutes where the machine would finally run on it's own. Then, I hooked the battery to the trickle charger and let it slowly recharge all night. All is good now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
No! The ECM controls the engine and it gets it's power from the battery through a relay. Two men and a large boy couldn't start an 800 if it had a pull start. I suspect that is why it doesn't have one. Later! Frank

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are other ATVs the same or will they run when the battery is dead after you pull start them?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I had an old ford courrier that would run without a battery once it was started and I'm pretty sure my old Yamaha Beartracker would do the same.

G

·
0 Posts
Many ATV's use the battery to only power lights and the electric start so many will run without one. There is no point in putting a pull start on an ATV that will not run if the battery is weak.

·
The Enforcer
10,142 Posts
the old auto generators used to be able to run without a battery and keep a car runing. cars with altenators arent so lucky. one of the worse things you can do is lift a cable off thebattery post to test an altenator. they sense no voltage and thatcauses a power surge which usually burns them up. I am wondering if the outtys charge system isnt more like an altenator than a generator and would quickly burn up the stator or the voltage regulator if it didnt sense battery voltage. ????

·
Registered
393 Posts
My Outty 800HO will not run without the battery.

My King Quad 700EFI will run without a battery by using the pull start feature.:dan:

BigDozer66

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 400 Max would not run without the battery either.The Outys usea three phase A/C alternator which is rectified to DC to charge the battery.Later! Frank

·
Registered
48 Posts
My battery failed on my outy 400 , I used the pull start and it started but would not run then would not start at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has any one attempted to test the Skidoo Sdi sled system for a sled with out electric start. I believe it uses a Cap bank of some sort.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Will an ATV run without a battery, yes and no

Yes, most ATV's will run without a battery, they have a magneto, and a pull start, and don't need the 12 volts for anything on the engine. Just lights and accessories.

The outlander is a definite no

One, the fuel injection needs the pressure from the fuel pump. No battery, no fuel.

two, Electronics, It's computer powered, so everything from the fuel injectors, to the spark timing are controlled by the computer, no computer, no fuel, no spark, no nothing.

And last, the battery becomes an integral part of voltage regulation and filtering. Kinda like, no exactly like, a capacitor. No battery, and 12VDC is not 12VDC any more. Computer goes wacky because it's power is bad. That's why loose battery connections throw it off.

So the Outlander will not run with a dead, or no battery. So, no point in having a pull start.

I keep jumper cables in my Outlander:thumb2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Will an ATV run without a battery, yes and no

Yes, most ATV's will run without a battery, they have a magneto, and a pull start, and don't need the 12 volts for anything on the engine. Just lights and accessories.

The outlander is a definite no

One, the fuel injection needs the pressure from the fuel pump. No battery, no fuel.

two, Electronics, It's computer powered, so everything from the fuel injectors, to the spark timing are controlled by the computer, no computer, no fuel, no spark, no nothing.

And last, the battery becomes an integral part of voltage regulation and filtering. Kinda like, no exactly like, a capacitor. No battery, and 12VDC is not 12VDC any more. Computer goes wacky because it's power is bad. That's why loose battery connections throw it off.

So the Outlander will not run with a dead, or no battery. So, no point in having a pull start.

I keep jumper cables in my Outlander:thumb2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts