Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up my new quad at the end of the month, until then I have been reading as much as I can in order to get to know the machine as much as possible. One thing I have read is that on some machines there is a problem of overheating of the DPS. Some posts mention that the user had the setting on Max when this occured, but others say they had it on Med when the overheating occured. What I am wondering is, if anyone had any DPS overheating issues when the DPS was set on Min. ?

I will not be using my quad for high speed trail runs nor deep mudding, but rather leisurely rides on dirt/forrest trails at slow to moderate speeds. I have upgraded the stock tires to 27" Kenda Executioners.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
My DPS is always on MIN and I've never had issues. My two buds run MED and MAX and they've both had the CHECK DPS come up. Fixed by shutting down bike and restarting.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Run mine in low all the time also

Never had a single issue (knock on wood)

·
Registered
932 Posts
My "check DPS" message did not come on; but I did not there was less and less assist after running in max assist over a few of hours of deep bush. I switched to med assist and it felt the same, then went to the lowest setting and it was definitely harder. So I went back to medium assist. Generally I vary the amount of assist with the terrain and don't usually have problems.
I do have beefier tires now with more bite which would add to the stress on the DPS

·
Registered
198 Posts
I always have my DPS on min. Never had a problem with it, have a little over 500 rocky and rough trail miles on my stock 2013 XT-P 800.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i can understand a person wants to learn as much as possible about their new machine but i'd be more concerned with learning how to maintain it than about what could happen. that to me is the best preventative maintenance available.
congrats on the new can-am in advance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had issue with tracks in slush at winter - expensive $$$$

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have had periodic issues with overheating DPS. I recently overheated it on min setting. It was very late in a ride , I am sure the unit is caked in mud and we were on one mother of a tight twisty rocky hilly slow moving trail. It overheated and it really felt heavy to steer. We stopped for 5 min, it was fine for the last 25 min.

No messages showed on the dash.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Never had an issue, most times it is on Med or Max. I saw someone on here once found a heat sink that was a really snug fit if you're that concerned. I thought I had saved the link, but apparently not. Try the search button and you will find it :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
I just had a post about this a week ago or so. They did a up date to my software to help the DPS from over heating. Ask your dealer to make sure it was done. I also reported that a new design is in the works according to my dealer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine overheated on min setting. I pulled over turned the quad off waited ten mins the check dps went away never came on again. 2012 outlander 800xt.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mine threw codes on my third ride with the new quad. I was on max and working it hard in some thick peanutbuttery stuff. Took it in to the dealer for it's first service and the tech recommended setting it to med. I did and haven't had an issue since. I will be asking about the software upgrade though. Most likely going to the dealer today to order up a rear seat for the wifey.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had mine overheat on min but I was stuck in a muck hole and was givin it the beans. I couldn't turn the bike off till I got out and it went off on its own after about 30 sec.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I don't understand why every seems to be settling to have the DPS on Min or Med. We pay a small fortune for these bikes the least we can xpect is for them to function as advertised. I've run my DPS on High since day one. I ride in everything from hard packed trials to tight twisty technical trails to the nasty sloppy/thick mud and clay I can find. I did have my DPS fault light come on the first week i got the bike. I tightened up all battery and grd connections. And hadcmy dealer check it during the 10 hr service. They didn't find any issues and I've never had a single issue since in the last 20 months. If the bike is equiped with a High setting and if u want to use it then use it. It's there to use. Not just for looks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I look at it like this; my cordless drill has three speeds but will trip out on limit if I try to drive a 6" lag screw in the highest gear. So I gear it down and it does the job. Same with the DPS. It works great on high for tight twisty trail, hardpack and most mud. In the thick stuff, and I mean tug the waders right off of you thick stuff, I am overworking it so I turn it down to avoid damaging a fairly expensive part. The other settings are there for a reason and I am not saying that I don't use high when the situation warrants it. Kinda like switching ACS ride settings, I could ride set on six at all times but not all scenarios require it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm always on max and never had any issues. I'm confused though if you're going to be leisurely riding on dirt and forest trails why you would need to upgrade to larger mud tires. They will give a rougher ride than stock ACT's and for those kind of trails the ACT's will perform to do whatever you need. Sounds like upgrading to Executioners tells more about what you'll be riding in than you let on?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts