Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post here. Thanks for the great info on this thread.

I just wired a Light bar on my 2018 XTP from the front bumper to the 3 pole buss bar under the center of the dash. The only way I could see to get the wire to the dash was through the front storage area behind the grill and up into/through the fluid fill area space. I shined a light from the dash and that was the only light i could see shining through.

Question 1: Is there a better way to wire without cutting/drilling holes everywhere? I wasn't even sure where to cut so didn't really want to do that.

Question 2: I just installed a rear bumper and need to wire LED lights for it. what is the best way to route these wires to the center buss bar/dash area? Do i need to remove the skid plates and go under the cab?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lots of views, but no responses. I know someone out there had to wire LED lights before on a Defender. Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Not everyone who views your thread has a Defender, so you can't go by the view count & think that everyone viewing has valid input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info woodchooper. I figured most viewing in the defender forum would have one, but perhaps that was an incorrect assumption. There was no ill intent with that post, it was simply to keep it near the top and give another cal for info.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I don't know how to help you but I'm not ignoring your thread. Sorry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ended up finding the way to wire the rear lights from bumper. For those who are in the same boat, thought I’d share.

FYI, you have to remove the plastic on the side of the ridge on the passenger side floor board. There is a channel with other wires run that you can follow to access the dash, buss bar, and switch area. Steps: Remove battery tray plastic cover under passenger seat, remove small piece under dash passenger side floor board plastic, remove passenger side of middle ridge on floorboard. All have the pop out plastic bolt things.

Still haven’t found better way to route front wires as mentioned in first post. Let me know if y’all find anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, my first post here. Thanks for the great info on this thread.

I just wired a Light bar on my 2018 XTP from the front bumper to the 3 pole buss bar under the center of the dash. The only way I could see to get the wire to the dash was through the front storage area behind the grill and up into/through the fluid fill area space. I shined a light from the dash and that was the only light i could see shining through.

Question 1: Is there a better way to wire without cutting/drilling holes everywhere? I wasn't even sure where to cut so didn't really want to do that.

Question 2: I just installed a rear bumper and need to wire LED lights for it. what is the best way to route these wires to the center buss bar/dash area? Do i need to remove the skid plates and go under the cab?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan
This is ridiculous...bought new 2020 can am defender..trying to install lightbar....no passage or access from front to cab to install switch...even if I go through fluid reservoir area...how to get into cab....I found I can unscrew panel in front of passenger side and it opens up into fender well...still not ideal to run wires...no YouTube videos any where how to get wires through...each video skips wiring...sheesh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is ridiculous...bought new 2020 can am defender..trying to install lightbar....no passage or access from front to cab to install switch...even if I go through fluid reservoir area...how to get into cab....I found I can unscrew panel in front of passenger side and it opens up into fender well...still not ideal to run wires...no YouTube videos any where how to get wires through...each video skips wiring...sheesh!
I just installed a front bumper light bar and found a way to get wires through the firewall but it wasn't easy. From under the hood you have to remove the middle plastic tray and there is a passageway through the top of the firewall. I passed a wire through from the outside and then hooked the light wiring to it and pulled it back through. Good luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have the 2017, but I assume the 2020 will be the same.

If you remove the front bulkhead cover inside the cab, there’s a rubber grommet where the other OEM wires pass through the firewall. It’s the cover that comes up from the floor and held by 3 or 4 plastic rivets. This will give you access. It’s where I fed my winch wire harness through.

·
Registered
5 Posts
None of this was helpful..such major disassembly only to run wires...so I figured it out myself...run the wires through the hinge of the hood then around the drivers side under the colored plastic below windshield ..unscrew black side plate by drivers side..take wire under and the over back of tray into the opening of storage tray where toggle switches can be accessed....hope this helps someone else as advice on how to do this is almost nonexistent.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the 2017, but I assume the 2020 will be the same.

If you remove the front bulkhead cover inside the cab, there’s a rubber grommet where the other OEM wires pass through the firewall. It’s the cover that comes up from the floor and held by 3 or 4 plastic rivets. This will give you access. It’s where I fed my winch wire harness through.
Do the 2020's not have the bulkhead panel just like AZ8 said? On the 2019's and older this is where you would run wires to the dash. No experience with the 2020's. Can somebody with a 2020 confirm this? Like AZ8 said, on the older models there were just plastic push pins you removed and this cover would remove in the front exposing where the wires run.

Reactions: AZ8

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 limited model. Ran wire for my front light bar on the bumper and for my turn signal kit. The way I ran my wires was underneath the dash towards the driver side. If you take the plastic painted panel off on the outside, underneath you will find a hole with a rubber grommet. I passed the wires through there and found a space between the frame to go down and follow the frame rail to the front. Hope this is helpful to you

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bolted a light bar in the bumper, but haven't ran the wire yet. Waiting on a factory style switch. Thanks for the info. I've seen some older posts of guys having some trouble finding a good spot on the newer models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally installed lightbar and new switch....I’m confused...switch led is always on even when key is off...afraid this is going to drain battery

·
Registered
256 Posts
Finally installed lightbar and new switch....I’m confused...switch led is always on even when key is off...afraid this is going to drain battery
Did you connect using the busbar? If yes, you must have connected it to the positive lead from the battery. You have to connect it to the auxiliary post on the busbar.
BFAE708A-E2F0-42FF-A044-C1E614F274BC.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you connect using the busbar? If yes, you must have connected it to the positive lead from the battery. You have to connect it to the auxiliary post on the busbar.
View attachment 98032
View attachment 98032
Not sure ...on the 2020 can am defender there are only 2 posts negative and positive under the hood...can’t find any other posts????

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not sure ...on the 2020 can am defender there are only 2 posts negative and positive under the hood...can’t find any other posts????
Gotcha. There should be a busbar underneath the center dash, right behind your switches. It should have a black cover.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can’t find anything like that
Hmmm....these guys found it on their 2020.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can’t find anything like that
First time post for me. I just tried wiring In a speaker and found the auxiliary posts for my 2020 Defender Max. It is not on the bus bar under the hood. That bus bar is an always hot positive and negative. The accessory post for “key on“ power is behind the 4x4 and drive mode panel on the front dash. Just pop off the little dash where the key, mode panel and other toggles are located. There’s three clips. No screws. The auxiliary power has red tape on it from the factory. I hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts