Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
First time post for me. I just tried wiring In a speaker and found the auxiliary posts for my 2020 Defender Max. It is not on the bus bar under the hood. That bus bar is an always hot positive and negative. The accessory post for “key on“ power is behind the 4x4 and drive mode panel on the front dash. Just pop off the little dash where the key, mode panel and other toggles are located. There’s three clips. No screws. The auxiliary power has red tape on it from the factory. I hope this helps.
Just for clarification for 2020 owners. That post with the red tape you are saying is a keyed hot. Is that a threaded post you would install an eyelet or spade connection and then tighten down with a nut? Did they do away with the accessory plugs on the 2020 models that they had on previous years? Those accessory plugs came in kind of handy, but I could see where those posts would be more universal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve only had a 2020 model So I have no experience with earlier models, but all the posts I read on previous models mentioned an accessory bar in the hood or under the dash. The 2020 has one in the hood, but it is always hot. For a keyed hot accessory, the only one I found is the Threaded posts in the dash. I used an eyelet connection with a Metric size 6 nut to connect it. The same size connection is used for the ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was about to ask the same question about the "key on" accessory post, but had no issues after JMH Ranch post. Thanks man(y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also a first time post for me too. I'm trying to hook up a led light bar. Found the accessory post, but when I turn the ignition key to the on position I have no power. Do I need to hook them up some where else first?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That was not my experience. I wired the positive and negative wires to the individual posts under the dash. When I turn the key I get power. Turn the key off and the power shuts off immediately.

·
Registered
2020 Can Am Defender Max Lone Star
1 Posts
First time post....
I added a 50" light bar to the front and a 20" light bar on the bumper. How did I do it?
Well here we go.
First I used the bus bar behind the 4x4 and diff lock switches that has the red tape to power my rocker switches back light. There's a ground there as well and it's all accessory powered.

Then I used two of the pre ran wires that are zip tied to the frame in the same location that come out in the front hood to signal my relay. I used the main positive and negative in the hood to tie into my lights.

No need to run any wires into your cab when all you need is a low voltage signal wire for your relay that is already ran for you.

:)

·
Registered
2020 Defender Max Lonestar
17 Posts
First time post for me. I just tried wiring In a speaker and found the auxiliary posts for my 2020 Defender Max. It is not on the bus bar under the hood. That bus bar is an always hot positive and negative. The accessory post for “key on“ power is behind the 4x4 and drive mode panel on the front dash. Just pop off the little dash where the key, mode panel and other toggles are located. There’s three clips. No screws. The auxiliary power has red tape on it from the factory. I hope this helps.
On your pic there are a bunch of male end wires. What are those for? I was curious if they were for accessories that are pre-wired? Thx!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts