Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7" Light bar is coming in soon and I was wondering if I could just tap into the high beams without a inline fuse or relay? 07 Outty 400. Id like to have a switch for the light bar but to water proof it would be difficult so I threw that idea away. Im not running the stock battery i have a larger small car battery put in my box. Also does anyone have a good mounting spot? Im thinking just above my winch on the aluminum support, as seen in the picture. Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Difficult to water proof? Just get a waterproof rocker switch. Make sure all your connections are shrink wrapped and you'll never have a problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would say, you could probably get away with tapping into the high beams to run it, Since the LEDs draw very little current, and by doing that, the circuit would be protected by the fuse for the high beam lights in case there was ever a short to ground. Make sure to solder and shrink all connections.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No switches like that where I live, im pretty well in the middle of nowhere. Few little stores here and there they only have the dash flip switches nothing special like that. I think I will go with the high beam wiring. Its not like im running really long wires (only the wires from the light bar) theyd be about 5 inches long at most to the headlights so nothing to draw a long of current.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go online and look at boat switches, they are all waterproof. I added many switches to various dirt and street bikes. 7+ years and 60K miles and no issues. I am going to do the same on my two outlanders.

Future project, 10" LED bars mounted high on the push bar and a switch on the handle bars.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ebay is the best place for waterproof switches and you can get them to say whatever you want on them. They light up and everything. Usually for around 10 bucks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might go with one of the boat switches, but I want to know if anyone else has hooked up to just their high beams and if they ran into any problems like blowing fuses or melting wires etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Might go with one of the boat switches, but I want to know if anyone else has hooked up to just their high beams and if they ran into any problems like blowing fuses or melting wires etc?
Even though they are not a high current draw, running them through a relay is best practice. If not the a separate switch on a 20 amp fuse. My plan is to add a separate fuse block and run all the accessories right from there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i tapped into a wire coming off 15 amp acc. fuse on front fuse box (underside) and used miniature waterproof rocker switches from ebay that lite up. mounted 3 switches on back of pod.clean installation

·
Registered
128 Posts
I ran a wire from my battery up to the front area. It has a fuse 5 inches off of the battery. Added in a relay that you can pick up at your local auto parts store. The power that closes the relay comes off of the high beams so I can turn the led off and on easily. It's just convenient that way because it's easy to turn off and on without ever taking your hands off of the handlebars. If you ride at night, you will be turning it off and on as you pass people because these things are blinding in the dark.

They are a great investment. I bought a 13" off of Ebay for around 60 bucks You really notice how poor the lighting is on mine now that I have the option of turning on an LED.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is a great link. I have done my bikes in a similar and yet slight different fashion. I want two outlets to always be "hot", yes there is a down side to this. The always hot outlets feet my GPS and my USB. I don't want to have to keep the bike running to have my GPS powered up. Also, I want the ability to keep charging my cell while the bike is off.

Other than that change I wish my job was as neat as Bill's. Here is the link to the fuse block that I use.

https://www.advmotorrad.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63

1 - 12 of 12 Posts