Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ed,

What set-up do you recommend for XC Racing the Outty 800? I am looking to lower my center of gravity to the point that the front A-arms are level when standing still.

Mostguys are using Renegade shock mounts to move the top of the front shock in towards the frame. This lowers the effective spring rate and increases the wheel travel using the same shock because the slanted shock moves about 0.9 * wheel deflection.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

TomD

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tom,

The shocks we are using probably not work for you if you wanting to lower the machine that much.You would not have much down travel because of the longshock body.Im sure something could be custom made for your application but we would not have the time to put into it thru the summer.

As far as lean angle on shocks I don't like doing that.We run our shocks on our race cars straight up and down because there easier to tune that way.The more lean angle the more shaft speed of the shock.I think you could get better stability like their mounted from the factory.Although I do understand Your reasoning for moving the shocks in at the top.THX. Ed

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am racing 4/10 mile dirt circle track now. So I need to slam it so the ground.

I will start with the fronts. Let me know what you can do for me.

·
Registered
863 Posts
XC racing is very hard on can-am quads and if you are going to ride hard there are a couple of important mods that you need to do to protect your quad from premature frame failure.
The shocks is one mod. Moving the shocks inward reduces the amount of force on the upper shock mount frame. I have bent the shock mount arms up a few degrees because I did not move my shocks inward. Flat track racing is different and does not put the forces XC racing does on the frame. Also placing some peices of square tubing into the upper frame between the front shock mount arms is needed.
The next is frame bracing. It is well known that the BRP frame is very weak on the bottom and will crumple during a hard hit. Inserting some square tubing into the lower part of the frame will fix this and make your frame a lot stronger.
Next is the battery. The stock bracket that holds the battery in place is very thin and will bend down over time during hard riding and result in your battery falling out.
Protection is also something that is needed. When a wide line of quads takes off from a line only to be funneled down into a one lane trail contact is going to happen. I have seen quads that have been rear ended with the exhaust shoved forward, batteries busted, and wheels broken off. A rear XC style bumper is a must to protect yourself. It needs to be strong enough and cover enough to protect your exhaust and battery.
I could go on and on about other mods but the above is the major ones that sticks out. Sure you have your givens that any race quad needs but all these are mostly unique to XC racing.

·
Registered
863 Posts
For drag racing or any kind of racing where you need your outlander to be low 400EX front shocks works great. It will be low enough to make your axles parallel to the ground. Im sure they offer 400EX shocks that you could buy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip on the 400EX front shocks. I may have some laying around to try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts