Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I just bought. 14 xtp 1000. (New to canam) I just ordered a rubberdown 1.5" shock spacers. Now I read that they are pointless for giving a lift and the fox shocks because the springs can already be tighten up. I plan on mounting my 30" mudlites on for now until I get rims for my 31" skinny laws so I guess my questions are....

1. Should I return the spacer lift and get a bracket lift which I didn't think was available, or would that be too much bind on the axles? Plan on getting a 4-6" later on.

2. Will my 30" s/w lites fit on? Or do I need to order wheel spacers before I even try?

3. Is it even possible for me to run 31" laws?

4. When guys talk about trimming, is it just the floor boards or the actual plastics?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I have a true 27 inch tire on my 800 and had to trim both the plastic and the footwell about an inch .with your tires you will need to trim a hell of a lot more than that if they're true to size. why would you get an XTP with the performance shocks to go mudding? if you lift the bike and stiffen the shocks up too much you're going to ruin the performance you gained by buying the XTP with the good shocks.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I would sell the Fox Podium X shocks, because you will make them ride horrible with most any kind of lift, springs, etc. Take that money and buy cheap shocks and your needed lift parts.
Simply put, you aren't going to have a great riding bike after you jack up the springs and whatever else. My XXC Springs are as loose as they can go and thats the correct calibration for my weight and the suspension sag according to fox. Now if you crank them all the way up, I can't even imagine what the spring rates would be like.

Its my opinion, so take it for what its worth because i know its not what u wanted to hear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya thx, it's kinda of an experiment. I ll figure that out later but for now I need to know if the spacers are a waist of time? Because I can just turn up the springs as is? So I mean I won't give me anymore of a lift than simply turning the springs up

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had to turn my preload almost all the way up on my XT-P shocks just to get the proper sag, and my ground clearance is still ridiculously low. That is one area these can-ams just don't cut it is the ground clearance is no where near the 11 inches that is listed in the specifications. I'm waiting for someone that has an XT-P to get the Cfab front bracket lift/rear extended/lifted arm and report back on how it rides with the podiums and how the axles fare.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They will definitely give you more lift, but instead of being in the sweet spot of your suspension and shocks you will be towards the upper end. Ideally you want a couple inches of sag so when you go over bumps the suspension can either compress or drop out several inches depending on the type of bump or hole you go over. Seems like these bracket and spring lifts just remove all your sag and extend the suspension into the fully downward travel position so you have no more dropout left (albeit more compression travel) and thus your ride suffers accordingly. Hopefully this makes sense?

I wish there was someone who made high arch a-arms that had 2" of lift built into them, similar to how shops like C-fab are making the trailing arms with 2" of extension and 2" of lift to avoid any type of spacer or bracket but still getting you the couple inches of ground clearance while still being in the sweet spot of the shocks and suspension travel with proper sag.

With just a spring or bracket lift you are also going to be harder on the axles as you will then always be driving with them at a steeper than stock angle which will cause more heat and more wear. I'm by no means a suspension expert but this is how I understand it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You will definitely need [wheel] spacers for the rear at least to clear the springs. 1" will do. I'm running 1.5" all the way around and love it. No lift and only needed to trim the footwells to clear 28" laws, mainly the front due to the spacers when turning. Wish I had a picture but I don't.

(Edit: for some reason I thought you were talking about wheel spacers at some point. You'll obviously be running aftermarket wheel probably with more offset considering you're running 30's)

With 30's you'll definitely have to do some trimming of the footwell and fender. There are picture online and it doesn't come out bad at all.

Keep in mind, any lift in the rear with stock trailing arm will actually cause MORE clearance issues with the fenders due to how the suspension travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse my fat finger syndrome.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya the bracket lift will be way worse on axles over the spring spacers. The spacers are just like if u lifted your bike just high enough (by hands) were it's still touching ground that's where the spacers would keep it

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ya the bracket lift will be way worse on axles over the spring spacers. The spacers are just like if u lifted your bike just high enough (by hands) were it's still touching ground that's where the spacers would keep it

It actually makes no difference to the axles whether it's a puck lift or bracket lift. The issue is that a lift increases the angle of the CV joints. Doesn't matter HOW you lift it, your going to increase the angle with either style lift.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to disagree. A bracket lift will put way more angle on your axles. Bracket lift you are lifting the shocks and everything. Spacers u can only lift as high as the shocks will extend

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes that's the plan but not till fall time. Just bought this bike. Just spent close to $2500 on it already. Qsc and stm are next

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have to disagree. A bracket lift will put way more angle on your axles. Bracket lift you are lifting the shocks and everything. Spacers u can only lift as high as the shocks will extend

Disagree all you want and no offense, but you're wrong lol. If you lift a machine 2", it doesn't matter if the shock moves with it or just extends further, 2" is 2" on stock a-arms and trailing arms in regards to the angles of the axles.

·
Registered
120 Posts

I read it... And I fail to see the point. When comparing apples to apples (and I'm referring to 2" of total lift from before a lift kit to after, no matter what style) it will yield the same angle on the axles. How is this not obvious? Frankly I don't think I can explain it in a way that will allow you to understand it, so I'm bowing out at this point. Think what you'd like.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All the spring spacers do if take the spring sag out. If you lift up on your bumpers as high as u can, that's the max where the spacers will keep your bike sitting. A bracket lift will physically make the bike taller....does anyone else agree on this??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts