Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is 2005 Rally

I have carb in pieces, cleaned choke plunger and carb body so it now slides up and down.
Have a new cable mount/seal as the original had broken at thread (which caused plunger to seize and water to get into carb)
Needs new shut off valve but everything else in carb looks OK
air filter has had it, part from dirt dauber 'nest' the foam is breaking up

Biggest problem is going to be shift lever, it falls down so something is broken internally
The shift knob is crumbling but that's not a big deal, I'll make a nicer one.
Can anyone tell me what is inside the case? (any surprise springs to jump out at me? )

Thanks

PJ

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the problem, there is a detent 'spring' bolted to outer cover.
It's a piece of bent tin and it breaks at the bend
New one is about $24.00 which is a rip off but bike won't work without it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got fed up with the damn thing being in pieces so bit the bullet and bought the crappy spring instead of making something that would work long term
I'm putting a small radius on the mounting pad, maybe it will allow spring to flex without cracking so soon?
Got new battery will have it on charge overnight (was only filled this afternoon, sitting to make sure acid level doesn't drop)
Bought some coarse and fine filter foam going to do a dual layer as the OEM is crap
Carb is still in pieces but won't take much to get fixed

·
Registered
2 Posts
05 Rally stalling seems to be water related

He guys anyone out there have a stalling problem? The stupid thing runs great for awhile and then a fairly large puddle will stall it, is always restarts after a couple minutes. Spark plug cable seems to be an issue as I pour water on it and it does stall so I put about 5 layers of electric tape on it( we were out and had no access to parts) but it is still happening. Any help is appreciated, the carb is my next guess.

By the way I also have the broken internal spring on the gear shift, just used a bungy cord to hold it up in high gear and the boy hold it down in neutral to start it and uses his foot to hold it in reverse if needed. I will be buying that part to fix it but not sure how big a job it is, I asked the dealer here in Calgary AB and they said probably a $350.00 fix ouch??

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
it's real simple to change spring, just takes a bit to get at.
Remove lower plastics, (the black bits) remove right footrest, remove brake pedal, remove sprocket and chain, remove the front chain guide, remove all the bolts holding cover on then give it a few taps to loosen gasket 'stick', use soft mallet to tap on output shaft to keep it from moving as you pull cover off.
Only reason to remove left plastics is to re-fill transmission after you put it all together. (filler is on lower left) 200cc gear oil, spring is around $20.00, I forget gasket price
If I remember right, you only need couple of Allen keys, 10mm and 12mm sockets and a 10mm combination wrench plus socket for the sprocket nut (don't forget to un-tab the tab washer)
I radiused the sharp edge on spring seat on cover, hopefully spring will last a little longer without being forced to bend over sharp edge?
For the cutting out, check the wiring and connectors coming out of generator to ignition module, I had a Yamaha that would cut out at the slightest puddle but was OK in torrential rain, water splashed in different directions compared to being thrown off wheels

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info

Hey Crazy, thanks a lot for the info I will definitely give it a try, can't handle the $100.00 an hour labour charge at the dealer.

snorkle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know where i could get transmission part for my rally 200? Need a drive gear and a new transmission case and dont wanna spend 1600+ at can am for just those 2 parts..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing I can suggest is eBay, craigslist, facebook (they have a selling section somewhere) or ask local shop if you can put a wanted card in the window
Sorry I can't be more help

·
Registered
293 Posts
those shift lever springs are weak. i keep spares of 'em. the way my kids ride the thing and shift it, i have to replace that spring minimum every winter if i'm lucky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
05 bombardier rally

Yo pj I just got a 05 bombardier rally 2 weeks ago. Things just keep going wrong with it. All the things that happened to your rally have happened to mine so I was hoping you could lead me in the right direction. Please reply back when you get a chance

--David

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi SuperDave,
not sure what you want to know that I haven't already posted?
I pretty much gave up after last post, still need to do front and rear brakes and a bunch of other stuff
Granddaughter shows no interest in it and I have couple of messed up discs so can't ride it (although I know I would if it was finished)
I'll get to it eventually, if only to sell it

·
Registered
8 Posts
The lever in my rally also falls. It still engages into forward, reverse and neutral but I have to literally hold the lever in place if I were to ride it. I rapped a rope around it so I could hold it up. I want to fix it, and from what I understand you said the issue in your case was a spring inside. I was wondering if you know the exact name for the spring so I can order it. Because I believe my lever problem was just like yours. Are there any surprises when opening up the gearbox? And do I need to buy a gasket or anything else after opening the gearbox? What would you say I would have to watch out for the most in this process?

Also a few minutes after I push the throttle all the way the bike back fires and I lose throttle power. If I let go of the throttle and push it again I will get a little more power and then it kinda bogs again until I stop and then it shuts off on its own. I let it sit for 2 minutes and it starts up and has no problem until I push the throttle all the way. (Sorry for the length just tryin to be as specific as I can).

What do you think this may be? And how can I fix it?

Thanks pj
-David

·
Registered
293 Posts
here's a diagram of the gearbox. the part you need is part # 6. i don't know the actual part number itself. all they call it is a spring (it doesn't look like a spring). i never replaced my gearbox gasket and i've replaced this spring probably 3 times now. just keep all gears in order when removing them to get to the spring and you'll be fine. i'm not mechanic AT ALL....and i have managed to replace this thing fine no problems.

Westside Motorsports,Spokane,Washington,BMW Motorcycle,Honda,Kawasaki,Yamaha,ATV,Motorcycle,Polaris Ranger,RZR,Beachcomber,Hot tubs,Clothing,Ariens,

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
David, I think you need to clean out carb and fuel system. Have you checked air filter?
It's under cover in front of handlebars
Also, check the connectors coming out of engine and around handlebars, could be something corroded.
Clean everything and get some dielectric grease to waterproof stuff when you put it back together, it's about $6.00 a tube

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay so opened up the gear box. The spring snapped. I ordered it and now i am waiting for it to come in. It cost me $30! I will let you know what happens once everything is back together

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stalling problem sounds like something that I experienced with my Rally.
I finally realized that every time I went through a puddle the water was actually splashing up through into the air intake, which has a rubber gasket to block this from happening but I found a couple spots where water was able to still splash up and get into the air intake underneath the front end and engine would shut off.
Basically it is a bad spot to have the air intake breather where water will get to everytime you go through any water.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bad news
Today I decided to 'unwrap' the 200 and finally fix it
the damn spring has failed - without ever being used
Bike has not turned a wheel since I replaced spring
I'm pretty pissed off about the poor quality,it's failed in exactly the same place as the previous one
This seems to such a common complaint that there must be a fault with the hardening/tempering of spring

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry about your bad news pj
My rally is a pain in the ass as well!
My driving gear snapped the other day and I was wondering if you have an idea of where to buy one.
Goodluck and thankyou

1 - 20 of 24 Posts