Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends!
This is gonna be a little longer post I guess, so please, bare with me for a minute :)

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with Adventure books and adventurers, and my parents got me a picture book about the first edition of the Paris Dakar.
I immediately decided "One day Ill run one"
Now that I am older in body but not in spirit, and done with education, have a decent paying job and some investments which have paid "ok" I have decided, YOLO, do it!
Now, running a Dakar as an amateur its too much of an endevour, so to gain experience and see if I can handle it, Ive decided to run the "moroccon desert challenge" in 2023
I have been driving bikes and wrenching in them since I can remember, but I dont wanna do it on a bike. I want to do it on a car.
Doing some research, I think ill do it on a Maverick.
And this is where I need to some help from you guys. Being so new to side by side vehicles, I have a million questions.
1) Which one of the current line up would you choose for such a race? Plenty of WOT track and a lot of dunes, but zero (or almost zero) rock crawling.
2) I read about the Smartshocks and yeah, they sound cool, but, dont they add a lof of complexity and would be almost imposible to repair on the race if something happens to them?
3) How much extra juice will I be able to get from the "tiny" 900cc engine?
4) How reliable are they?
5) I read a lot about frames being weak, how much of a concern is that?
6) How "field fixable" are they? (If I have a little crash,or something breaks down, how realistic is it for a two team man, relatively mechanically inclined to fix?)

I guess i could ask millons of questions but I dont want to annoy you!

Thank you so much and Ill really appreciate if you take some time of your day to help me out with some advice!

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,097 Posts
I've got nothing to add, other than to applaud your transparency and drive, hope it's a bucket-list experience and ends well (y)

I take it you've researched the X3 maverick, the turbo RR, specifically?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Start with an X3, of course. I would choose either the RS Turbo RR or the RC Turbo RR, and you shouldn't need to get any extra juice out of the engine. Focus on reliability and suspension tuning. A top quality air filtration system for the engine and driver, and key reinforcements to the frame, or even starting with a custom race chassis. I personally would contact Shock Therapy Can Am X3 (shocktherapyst.com) for suspension and chassis set up ideas. I used their suspension tuning, bump steer elimination tie rod set up, and limit straps on a 2018 X3 XRS, and it worked phenomenally well. Good luck, this is going to be a huge undertaking.

Reactions: Toodumbformyowngood

·
Registered
526 Posts
That sounds like great fun. IMO, get your toy, and start running it hard. I used to ride dirt bikes for years in the Mojave Desert. Pick the terrain and go for it, and discover yourself and the machine. At some point you'll be ready for the Moroccan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got nothing to add, other than to applaud your transparency and drive, hope it's a bucket-list experience and ends well (y)

I take it you've researched the X3 maverick, the turbo RR, specifically?
Thank you!
Yes, I have!
I think Ill go for the RC RR but still debating wether I want/need the Smartshocks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Start with an X3, of course. I would choose either the RS Turbo RR or the RC Turbo RR, and you shouldn't need to get any extra juice out of the engine. Focus on reliability and suspension tuning. A top quality air filtration system for the engine and driver, and key reinforcements to the frame, or even starting with a custom race chassis. I personally would contact Shock Therapy Can Am X3 (shocktherapyst.com) for suspension and chassis set up ideas. I used their suspension tuning, bump steer elimination tie rod set up, and limit straps on a 2018 X3 XRS, and it worked phenomenally well. Good luck, this is going to be a huge undertaking.
Thank you!
Yes, I am going to go for the RR RC, im pretty sure.
I found the guys from shock therapy on youtube. They are extremely knowlegedable and their videos are a gold mine. I specially liked the one geometry. Camber, caster and so on.
Thank you for your advice!
The question Ikeep debating mysef with is the need/want for the smartshocks.
I guess Ill keep reading.
Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like great fun. IMO, get your toy, and start running it hard. I used to ride dirt bikes for years in the Mojave Desert. Pick the terrain and go for it, and discover yourself and the machine. At some point you'll be ready for the Moroccan.
I am hoping it is great fun, looks amazing!
I went down the "rally raid" rabbit hole and found out plenty of "warmup" alternatives. There is a uper cool one hapenning in Poland that I think will be my baptism by fire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts