Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
850 Max XT-P
79 Posts
Opps forgot to add. Ride any brakes for a long period and they will overheat, and cause brake failure. Thats why you see all the truck ramps on steep hills. And a 6 seater defender would have to be classed as a HGV in the ATV world.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,872 Posts
The defenders do not have a one way bearing they have a regular needle bearing that free spins both directions. So once speeds are low enough and belt rides on primary bearing you wont have engine braking. Although this should be a speeds below approximately 6 or so mph. The defenders don't have nearly the engine braking of the outtys or even commander primarily because of the weight.
I learned something new today. I love this forum. Thank you @CanAmRancher1 !

·
Registered
2015 Commander XT 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Go back next week, and try the same hill in low range, and post the results. May pay to change out the brake pads, and check rotors not warped. And bleed out old brake fluid.
We were on a week-long trip around the Gaspe region of Quebec. It was an 800-mile ride ATV over 7 days and the owner of the Defender would have to drive over 12 hours to go back.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
1,137 Posts
That climb in the Mont St-Louis area is very steep. It would not be easy to find another climb like it.
That must have been an amazing trip. The Gaspe peninsula is beautiful. If you would you tell us more about it in the Members Rides forum I'd appreciate it immensely.

·
Registered
2015 Commander XT 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That climb in the Mont St-Louis area is very steep. It would not be easy to find another climb like it.
That must have been an amazing trip. The Gaspe peninsula is beautiful. If you would you tell us more about it in the Members Rides forum I'd appreciate it immensely.
Absolutely, I will put some information together later this month or in the fall explaining the trip in detail.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts