Can-Am ATV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
Boss 800 6x6
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I think Alaska Ken will be my mentor of modifications... (y)

Moving on the steering adjustments, I just reduced the center axle suspension struts preload to minimal and tires further reduced to 7psi. I'm going to test this out before I do more. Steerage is important.. :eek:

·
Registered
2018 Outlander 6x6
218 Posts
I also added a pad to the bed as well as the lower storage area. BTW, the small 8 gallon Rubbermaid action packer fits nice in that lower storage area. I am curious about the tailgate support. Do yo run around with your gate open? Or is it for when you open your gate and have a level bench? I'm wondering if I could pull out my plastic divider without the gate dropping all the way down?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The small (8 gallon) action packet does fit great in the lower compartment. I find myself in deep water sometimes, so I wanted a water proof storage.

Gas Machine Composite material Engineering Laptop accessory

I found the DeWalt tool box shown to fit snugly with enough room for a a long rope and jumper cables in front of it.

I bought several of these boxes so I can dedicate one to tools, one to tire repair, one with wheeler parts (belt, oil change, air filter, etc.) and one for a chain saw. It has worked great for the Alaskan needs and the mud and rain we have during hunting season.

pictures below is a Sthil 180, gas, oil, ear protection, chains and files. All in a water tight container.

I’m a huge fan of that lower storage area.

Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt Road surface Gas

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good morning ArlyA,

Back to your original questions of how to improve the turning radius of the Outlander Max XT 6x6. I like your idea of tinkering with the center drivers to help reduce the plowing effect of the Outlander 6x6's long wheelbase. I had not thought of that as perhaps part of the issue. The Outland turning radius (or lack thereof) was the first thing I noticed when I purchased my first one in 2020. At the time, I owned several 2010 Polaris Big Boss 800 6x6 and they turn completely inside the Outlander 6x6 turning radius. I actually drove them both in several circles in the gravel to make tire marks to measure the differences. The Polaris Big Boss 6x6 outside tire mark was right on the inside tire mark of the Outlander 6x6. I did this test on pavement and it was even worse as the Outlander 6x6 seemed to "plow" it's front tires more on a hard surface. This observation would support your notion that the center drivers are holding it straight causing the front tires to "Plow" a bit as they steer.

I have a Ford F-350 long bed and a Ford F-550 dually with a 10' bed and the F-550 turns much sharper than the F-350. The difference in the Fords is how the rims are mounted on the hubs which allows the F-550 to have a greater angle on the turned wheel. I recently purchased a 2022 Defender 6x6 Limited and it too has a sharper turning angle on its front tires and it turn much sharper than the Outlander 6x6. Observing this on the trucks and Defender, I wondered if I could increase the steering angle of the Outlander 6x6 to achieve improved turning radius.

Below is a picture of a new Can Am pitman arm for the Outlander, part number 703501110. I was pondering if I could increase the distance between the spline and the two tie rod connection points on the Pitman Arm and then slightly increase the length of the Tie Rods to maintain alignment. In my little pea brain, this would cause the wheels to turn sharper.

Bicycle part Gas Automotive tire Tool Auto part

To be honest, this is a far as I have taken it, but I might give this a whirl this winter. We take our machines deep into the Alaskan wilderness hunting, so strength and dependability are a must and everything we modify has to be factory strong or better. Not only would the Pitman Arm modification need to be as strong, but I would need to make sure the extra steering angle would not compromise the front axle lower CV joints. And this proposed modification will add strain on the power steering unit as well due to the effect of leverage.

Sometimes you can take a perfectly good machine and make it worse by trying to improve something. There is a very fine line between MacGyver and MacGruber. I look forward to seeing if this idea works.

·
Registered
Boss 800 6x6
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
We owned a boss for the past 4 or so years and did the same thing to its suspension and tire PSI to assist with steerage. We will be out in the feild with the outlander on Sunday and will report back but driving it around the yard, pretty much proved that improvements where made.

·
Registered
Boss 800 6x6
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I also added a pad to the bed as well as the lower storage area. BTW, the small 8 gallon Rubbermaid action packer fits nice in that lower storage area. I am curious about the tailgate support. Do yo run around with your gate open? Or is it for when you open your gate and have a level bench? I'm wondering if I could pull out my plastic divider without the gate dropping all the way down?
I just ordered two of these 8 gallon Rubbermaid action packers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like my Polaris cables better than the Can Am solution to the tail gate. But I can’t take off my side rails anymore as the are fixed to the radiator and roll bar assembly.

But the cable were easy to install, inexpensive and much more functional.

·
Registered
Boss 800 6x6
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
You guys running plows, or in the snow. Did you remove the front plastic skid plate installed by BRP? I got the plow and looked at how the plow push mount goes onto the frame. Seems with the skid plate off, might allow better air flow and water drainage as it melts off and a closer fit to the frame..

New plow.
Plant Automotive tire Tread Tire Wheel
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
You guys running plows, or in the snow. Did you remove the front plastic skid plate installed by BRP? I got the plow and looked at how the plow push mount goes onto the frame. Seems with the skid plate off, might allow better air flow and water drainage as it melts off and a closer fit to the frame..

New plow. View attachment 108540 View attachment 108541
I didn't. I didn't even trim the part that rubs against the plow mounting bracket. It barely interfered, so I just left it as is.

You probably know this already but installation is a giant PITA. Trying to get blind nuts onto bolts underneath the machine about had me red faced angry. Took about 4 to 5 hours to complete the job. In hind sight it would have been good money to have the dealer do the install. Of course I would wage money they would just conveniently forget or skip some of the more difficult bolt installs. It is really well engineered for strength, so some bolts could probably be left off and you'd never know.

I just look again at the picture of your new plow. Forget what I wrote above. Looks like yours is not a center frame mount plow.

·
Registered
Boss 800 6x6
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I didn't. I didn't even trim the part that rubs against the plow mounting bracket. It barely interfered, so I just left it as is.
You probably know this already but installation is a giant PITA. Trying to get blind nuts onto bolts underneath the machine about had me red faced angry. Took about 4 to 5 hours to complete the job. In hind sight it would have been good money to have the dealer do the install. Of course I would wage money they would just conveniently forget or skip some of the more difficult bolt installs. It is really well engineered for strength, so some bolts could probably be left off and you'd never know.
I just look again at the picture of your new plow. Forget what I wrote above. Looks like yours is not a center frame mount plow.
I watched some Yturd videos and seems everyone's attachment plate goes in the same location, like at or slightly behind the A frame mounts. I went on to do other things but I will later drop that plastic skid plate and contemplate leaving it off. Thanks!!! (y)

61 - 80 of 100 Posts